Are you more likely to experience the late onset pain with Coolsculpting on your abdomen verses other areas?

Is late onset pain after CoolSculpting more likely to occur on the abdomen versus other areas?

Yes, I have found that late onset pain after CoolSculpting is more likely to occur on the abdomen rather than other body areas.  In fact, I do not believe I have had any patient treated with CoolSculpting have late onset pain anywhere but the abdomen.    

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpt Treatment

Hello and thank you for your question. What we have heard from Coolsculpting regarding late onset pain is that it usually occurs when patients have their abdomens treated. The way this pain is managed is by prescribing a nerve pain medication for when the pain starts. Pain typically last for 7-10 days and resolves on its own. Hope this helps, regards Dr. S. 

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Late Onset pain with Cool Sculpting

In my practice we have not had any late onset pain except for abdominal treatments. We have done approximately 2500 treatments to date since having the machines and have had about a dozen clients with this issue. It is improved with time (3-4 weeks max), compression, icing, tylenol/motrin and in rare cases lidocaine patches or neurotin. Best of Luck. 

Timothy Treece, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Late onset pain following CoolSculpting

Yes, patients are more likely to experience late onset pain to the abdominal area about 1 week following their CoolSculpting treatment. The good news is this pain is temporary and will resolve completely in time. I suggest calling your certified CoolSculpting expert to prescribe a medication that can help aid in some relief to the area, such as Neurontin. Good luck!

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Late onset pain

In our experience, the only area that gets late-onset pain is the abdomen.  It is usually self-limited to two weeks.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Thank you for your question. Yes, it can be more common with abdominal treatments. We do prescribe a medication to help patients with their recovery in case it happens. Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Late onset pain

Thank you for the question.  I have found that late onset pain is more common when treating the abdomen that other areas of the body.  It typically starts several days after the procedure and can last up to 1 week.  The good news is that I have seen it completely resolve in anyone who has experienced it.  There are some medications and pain relief patches that can be prescribed by your doctor if you happen to have this.  Best of luck!

CoolSculpting Side Effects

It is common to have late onset pain in the abdomen after CoolSculpting. Pain, bruising and swelling are potential side effects. I suggest venus legacy treatments and lymphatic massage to help.  Oral neurontin and diuretics can help as well. Best, Dr. Emer

Nerve Pain with Coolsculpting

Thank you for your question. Yes. We have found that the abdomen is the most common area to experience late onset nerve pain. Late onset nerve pain is rare and can be controlled by medicine when appropriate. We are excited to be one of the first centers in Illinois to offer the new Coolsculpting applicators which are designed for patient comfort. With the new applicators there is a larger surface area treated, more patient comfort, less risk of late onset nerve pain, and shorter treatment times. 

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Pain after coolsculpting

Pain that occurs a few days after coolsculpting treatment is most likely related to an inflammatory response to the fat.  It does not occur often; however, when it occurs, it usually is on the abdomen (especially in patients with prior surgery or men).   Other areas, such as the arms can have some tenderness and numbness that is longer lasting.  Thankfully, for most patients the pain is bearable and short-lived.  If the pain is worse, pain medication or anti-inflammatory medications can speed the recovery.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon