Having blistering and weeping under the surgical tape under my right breast. Is this normal? (Photo)

I got a lollipop lift so not sure why I have surgical tape under my breasts. two days ago I started to develop some itching on the inside corner of the surgical tape. It was weeping clear yellowish fluid. There's a scab now. right outer corner of the tape there was a large fluid blister that seems to have popped. Talked to the MA on Thursday and she said it was probably a reaction to the tape. The left breast has no issues. Can anyone tell me what it could be or if I should be concerned.

Blisters and surgical tape

Blisters around the edges of surgical tape is relatively common.  It usually is due to traction on the skin when swelling sets in, not an allergy.  Typically I would remove the tape and treat the blistered area with ointment and a dressing.  It is usually superficial and heals without problem.  

Tension or allergy

This isn't unusual but not common. Why have they not offered to change the tape or remove it. The longer this persists the more difficult it will be to heal and the higher the likelihood of scarring.

Donald W. Kress, MD, FACS
Frederick Plastic Surgeon

Having blistering and weeping under the surgical tape under my right breast. Is this normal?

You may have an allergy to tape or the tape is too tight and putting pressure on your skin.  I would recommend that you see your plastic surgeon to have the tape removed.

Having blistering and weeping under the surgical tape under my right breast. Is this normal

I think you need to see your surgeon very soon so the tape can be properly removed and the blisters treated in order to speed their healing.

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast Blisters after Lollipop( Vertical ) Mastopexy

Hi Boymom,

Thanks for your question and photos. I would recommend that you be seen and examined by your plastic surgeon. Blisters happens after surgery when tape is used and the skin swells after surgery thus shearing the top layer or skin. The fact that you have tape on both breast but only one side has a blisters more than likely means that you do not have an allergy to the tape. I would remove it and apply triple antibiotic cream as a moist environment helps wounds heal faster. Blistering means a more superficial wound and less of a chance of scarring but you may see color changes where the blistering has occurred. The best advice comes from your surgeon as they know all the ins and out of your procedure. Good luck.

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
#mastopexy # #docmata

Breast lift - concerned about tape reaction

Thank you for asking about your breast lift.
  • It sounds as though you have a severe reaction to the tape.
  • You need to be seen by your plastic surgeon to have the tape removed and the blistered skin protected.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.