Power assisted vs suction assisted liposuction for BBL.

Can anyone tell me what is the the difference between PAL to SAL lipo? What is the best for a bbl?

Power Assisted has a vibrational component, which is supposed to reduce physician fatigue.

Brazilian butt lift

Hello and thank you for the question. PAL uses a device made by MicroAire. Both techniques are similar in that tumescent fluid is first injected into the fat. This helps with blood loss, bruising, and postop pain. The difference is that PAL uses a motorized handle vs doing this the old fashioned way with manual hand held cannula. 

The difference is like an old fashioned saw vs an electric saw. The electric will be easier for the doctor and produces a more even and smooth result in my experience. 

Having said that, both are good techniques for BBL. 

The success depends on your underlying health, available fat, skin tightness and elasticity, and the size / shape of your buttocks. Remember that some of the fat that is transferred does not survive. Typically about 70% of the fat lasts long term. 

The cost will depend on how many areas of fat you are having liposuction performed. Average estimate will run 7000-10,000 approximately including anesthesia, surgery center and doctor fees. 

As always it is best to be healthy, no smoking, and to make sure any health care concerns you have are managed by your primary care doctor.

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

PAL vs SAL

power-assisted liposuction uses a handle that moves the tip of the liposuction cannula (the part that goes inside the body and sucks out the fat) back and forth, whereas suction-assisted liposuction doesn't use this handle.  They are both options for BBL, I use both routinely/together for this procedure.

Lipo techniques and BBL

I do not think that PAL or traditional liposuction are any different in terms of viable fat for a BBL. Best of luck.

Power assisted lipo (PAL) is the same as suction assisted lipo except that PAL has a small mechanical device in the handle of the tube that sucks out the fat making it easier and faster to remove fat. Both are OK for BBL.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

PAL vs SAL

Good question.  PAL involves a machine handle that vibrates the cannula side to side.  The process of doing so makes the cannula move more evenly back and forth, reduces surgeon fatigue, and likely aids in creating a smoother lipsocution result.  I don't believe either really make a difference to the actual fat itself.  A large cannula and lower suction pressure can theoretically help by producing less trauma to the fat cells but this can be applied to either PAL or SAL.

Good luck with your BBL results.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

This is really a decision that your PS will make. Power assisted liposuction makes the case physically easier for the PS, so many use this method always. Others choose to use power assisted liposuction when they are doing areas such as the back or patients who have already had liposuction and therefore have scar tissue making the case more physically difficult. Power assisted liposuction is a machine that vibrates the suction cannula which helps do the work as you liposuction.