How are some girls getting burns from tumescent lipo?

I want to get a bbl done however one of my biggest concerns are girls are getting burned after lipo and not laser lipo either. These are done by reputable doctors all over the country. My question is how and why is it happening is this comman and what would be the burn rate? This really scaring me from getting a bbl? Anyway i can reduce my chances of ending up with burns?

Burns after liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction and BBL.

• Tumescent liposuction without a heated machine (laser, vaser) will not burn your skin.
  • The cannula can cause a friction burn at the entry site - this is small and heals rapidly.
  • Laser and vaser would never be used for a BBL as it kills the fat.
  • Is it possible you are seeing women with darkened skin after liposuction? This is commonly seen in African American liposuction.
  • It is prevented by the woman using 4% hydroquinone 2 x day x 6 weeks over the entire liposuction area - before having surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

BBL

Hello and thank you for the question. I have not seen a burn from standard tumescent liposuction as no heating element is used. If it is laser or ultrasound, there is a possibility of getting burned, but not with traditional techniques. 

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any final decisions. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Burns?

Burns if they do occur with liposuction will often come with heating type devices like the laser lipolysis or ultrasonic lipo machines.

Tumescent Liposuction....

Tumescent Liposuction itself cannot cause skin burns!   It is when you add liposuction machines which use energy to help break down fat cells that you can get skin burns.  It is these machines, Ultrasonic and Laser liposuction machines which can burn your skin.  By definition, Tumescent Liposuction just means that Tumescent Fluid is injected under the skin before the fat is suctioned out.   Which machine is used will depend on the surgeon's preference.  But this fluid cannot cause burns of the skin by itself.       There is however, always the possibility of friction burns on the edges of skin where the cannula slides in and out.   But, there are usually very minor.  

Liposuction

Any method can cause issues- the surgeon must always be aware and protective. Even safe or power assisted or even regular liposuction can cause friction burns at incisions if not performed with great care. Vaser ultrasound, Smart Lipo laser, etc should be very safe if performed by an experienced plastic surgeon. Beware of inexperienced physicians.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures is recommended to confirm you are a candidate as well as discuss your options and expectations.

Burns happen from energy-based liposuction systems, like laser, radiofrequency or ultrasound assisted liposuction. Basic tumescent liposuction using the SAFElipo technique that I use with my patients has no risk of burns because there is no heat added and therefore no risk of burns. Talk to a board-certified plastic surgeon near you to get more details about what will be right for you. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC