Can a BBL be done in multiple sessions?

I went to a board certified surgeon, I didnt want general Anethesia. He offered to do it under local anesthesia where I could return to work in 2 days. Then a week from then come back to do lipo fat transfer in my butt from my stomach under local. Is it normal to have a bbl done in two sessions?

BBL.... In Several Stages....???????

Is this normal?   Absolutely not!
First of all, There is no need to do it in two stages!   If you want it done well and safely, the best, safest and most comfortable way to have this done and get excellent results is to go to sleep.  Doing it awake in stages is going to allow small amounts of fat to be placed in your butt, with little change or improvement!   I have performed this procedure now for almost 20 years.   I have never had anyone unhappy with their results!  If it is done correctly and if you are a good candidate, you can get an excellent result!   Be sure to consult with Board Certified PLASTIC SURGEONS!    And, be sure they have a lot of experience with this procedure!   
Good Luck
Dr M

Staged BBL

See another board certified plastic surgeon, who operates at a certified facility and does a ton of Brazilian butt lifts, and large volume fat transfers, and you'll be in better hands.

To prove my point I suggest you ask a simple question of the surgeon you trust to do a BBL: How many of these did you do last year? (The way she, or he, is suggesting it be done.) Don't settle for vague answers. Your fat and body are too precious to be used to test new unproven methods. Then go elsewhere, and get it done under some form of light anesthesia in one session, by someone who has done at least a hundred BBLs  in 2015. 

Ayman Hakki, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

A BBL can be done in several sessions if you desire.  I often will do it in one session using either general anesthesia or local.  

BBL sessions

No, it is not normal to do a fat transfer to the buttock in multiple sessions. You can do it your way (local) or you can do it your surgeon's preferred way in one session. Consult with a few plastic surgeon's if you are not sure. Most experienced plastic surgeons will perform this procedure under general anesthesia.

William Bruno, MD

Brazilian Butt Lift and Local

Dear Nticki5, Thank you for your question.  If a Brazilian Butt Lift was just adding fat to the buttocks, then doing the fat injections in multiple sessions could give you the larger buttock size desired but...A BBL is much more than just stuffing fat into the buttocks.  To truly get the shaping and the contouring needed, there is extensive liposuction required and also the addition of the fat to the buttocks.  The desired curves come by deepening the valleys and raising the mountains.  Also, the volumes required to make a significant difference in buttock size would probably require more than two sessions under local.  There is also the question of how much local anesthetic would be needed for your comfort.  Too much local can be dangerous and there have been questions about the toxicity of local anesthetic on the transferred fat.  Lastly, being able to return to work in two days or less seems a bit fast.  One thing that certainly can kill the transferred fat cells is too much pressure from sitting or laying on the buttock shortly after the fat is placed.  Many patients need as much as two weeks from their jobs because their jobs require long hours of sitting.

General anesthesia risks have improved a lot in the last decades making surgery safer and more comfortable.

Please discuss this with your board-certified plastic surgeon and do make sure that they are experienced in this procedure.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. I personally perform the BBL procedure under general anesthesia as it requires a significant amount of liposuction and contouring of the waistline and buttock. I would be sure to check that your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, as well as having experience in the procedure you are interested in. Best, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon