Balding or Big Forehead? (photo)

Okay, so I recently cut off my long hair and lately I have been paying a lot of attention to my hairline. I've always had a big forehead since I was a kid and very thin hair. But I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is balding or just a hairline that some men have. Hopefully the smart doctors here can fill me in

Measuring hair loss with a personal exam and family history - further hair loss and hair thinning can be treated without surgery

Normally, when people first start noticing hair loss and seek help, they have already lost 50% or more of their hair.

In assessing hair loss in our practice, we usually do first an evaluation. We get the patient’s family history since hair loss patterns sometimes run in families. We also do physical examinations using a microscope to distinguish the difference between strong hairs which are also called terminal hairs from thin or fine hairs. Hairs don’t normally thin automatically but go through a hair growth cycle. One of the phases of the cycle is the telogen phase where hairs shed off.

Currently, there are two medications that are approved for treating thinning hair: one is minoxidil and the other is finasteride. Both of these medications are shown to be effective. However, they have some side effects such as in the case of finasteride which has sexual side effects.

In our practice, we have been using a Hair Regeneration treatment using a material called extracellular matrix (ECM) made by ACell combined with platelet-rich plasma(PRP) to help reverse hair thinning. Extracellular matrix triggers the body to produce adult stem cells called progenitor cells that are absent in balding men. Progenitor cells signal the dermal papilla to begin the hair growth cycle. This material has been used before for wound healing and is injected and applied to the different levels of the skin. Interestingly, it has been very successful in helping our patients. In fact, younger males seem to have better results than middle-age men. 

I advise you look into treatments like Hair Regeneration, but they are not that common and there are a lot of questions about its application.  As multi-specialty surgeon, I have used extracellular matrix on other tissue regeneration procedures like ear replacement and facelift incisions. It isn't a generic procedure so many hair loss specialists may not be aware of it. So, get some attention and information, and make decisions based on the fact that it is better to save your hair than transplant it because you won't get the same volume and hair density from a transplant alone.  I hope that was helpful, and thank you for your question.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Balding or Big Forehead? (photo)

Based on your photos alone and your age, I would highly suggest no procedures at this time.

You stand to little to gain.

If your pattern progesses to more well defined areas of hair loss, perhaps then your yield would be much greater.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Bid forehead or thinning hairline

To find out if you are experiencing hair loss due to male pattern hair loss, it is best to be examined by a hair loss specialist. Once evaluated, if you are a good candidate you can have hair restoration to lower your hairline, hair transplant is very successful for lowering hairline if done by experienced hair restoration specialist. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Med with high foreheads

Often have recession of their hairline. You need to see a doctor to find this out. Hair transplants are the only treatment for high hairlines in men.  There are two types of procedures for lowering a woman’s hairline. One, is a surgical excision of the upper forehead followed by the downward advancement of the hairline up to an inch from where it was prior to the surgery. To accomplish this, the entire scalp from the frontal hairline to the very back of the crown, is lifted up and pulled forward. When this is done by an experienced surgeon, the hairline can often be advanced about 2/3rd – 1 inch if there is enough looseness when this lifting process is done. This procedure is often complete in one surgical session; however, it may not address receded corners of the hairline if the corner recession is significant. A great advantage of this surgical approach is the immediate impact of the procedure on hairline location with healing usually complete in a week or so. Sometimes this procedure produces a scar in front of the hairline, and if this is this is the case, a hair transplant in front of the hairline can address the scar. If there is corner rounding that is not addressed by the surgical lowering, then hair transplants can address this very well. Hair transplants take 7-8 months to fully grow out.

The second type of hairline lower procedure is done through hair transplantation. The number of sessions varies by the thickness of the hair. For women with other than fine hair, they might do this in a single session. With finer hair, it often takes two sessions. The time to see the impact of a hairline lowering hair transplant procedure is 7-8 months and if a second session is required, it will take another 7-8 months to wait for full growth. See web-references below for four excellent sets of photos of this process on four women.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you cut your hair short, it may look thinner.

If you cut your hair short, it may look thinner.  This is just common sense, right?  If you always had thin hair and a high forehead, it would look worse with a shorter hair cut, right?  If you believe you are balding, you should see a doctor for an examination.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairline

How old are you? It could represent an age appropriate hairline.  As we age, our hairline tends to recede even in the absence of male pattern baldness.  How is the crown? Is there hair loss in the family? Knowing this information would be helpful.

Tim Neavin, MD

Hair Transplant - balding or high forehead

It seems like your fine hair along your hairline is starting to thin.  Therefore, when up close, you probably see that your hairline is receeding.  From a distance, I don't think it looks too much like balding... yet!  Best Wishes!!

Balding?

If you are under 25 and have male pattern baldness in your family ( father, brothers, grandfathers, uncles) you are likely also heading on that pathway. Medication might help slow down hair loss but hair transplants won't. Consider them later in life when you have had more hair loss and a styling problem. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Big forehead vs. receding hairline

Thank you for your question and photos. Unfortunately, the photo tells us very little.  If you are really concerned about a receding hair line, you need an in-person consultation with an experienced hair transplant surgeon.  At your consultation, you can discuss both surgical and non-surgical methods for keeping your hair, as well as options for putting grafts where hair was lost.  You can also discuss your "big" forehead and whether or not something can or should be done about that.  Best of luck to you. Dr. P

Allan J. Parungao, MD

Balding or Big Forehead?

An examination would make it much easier to answer your question but it does appear that  you're thinning at the lateral junctions of your hairline. It may be helpful to look at previous pictures but consult with a physician to diagnose and describe all alternatives for treating hair loss if that is the problem.