What to Do with Bald Patch After Facelift?

I have a bald patch above my ear and slightly in front of each. Its like the sideburn is higher and almost gone. I had a very weak hairline before my facelift. The other side is fine. What can be done to rectify this?

Micro-grafting can be helpful in the treatment of alopecia (hair loss)

This appears to be alopecia or hair loss secondary to circulatory compromise following a lower face and neck lift procedure. Hair restoration surgery using micro-grafting techniques are possible although the results of grafting an area of scar tissue can be somewhat inconsistent. In this situation using a small rotation flap might be a little more predictable.

Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Follicular hair transplant is the best method

Hair loss after face lifting is a rare but known complication. It occurs mostyl because of the injury to the hair follicules during the procedure or is a result of  procedure that unfortunately moved hairline in the wrong drection. Although sometimes it can be corrected surgically by a revision, in most case hair is missing and has to be transplanted. The best method is calle FUE Neograft procedure . Neograft allows for hair to be transplanted with creating yet another scar on you scalp.

Baldness after a facelift

Baldness should be rare in the hands of an experienced plastic surgeon who uses good technique.  If you have it though, single hair transplanst can be done.

Hide Facelift Scars with Hair Transplantation

Scarring or a bald spot is an incredible common finding after having a face lift procedure. This can usually be avoided during the facelift procedure by utilizing a trichophytic closure. Nevertheless, if a bald spot or hair loss has occurred, it can be corrected with hair transplantation using single follicular units. From El Paso.

The Lifted Sideburn

So sorry this has happened.  This is a complication of facelifting that some may consider acceptable if the rest of the facelift was done well.  I don't think this has to happen.  At the time of surgery, there are some tricks you can use to get a great facelift result without overlifting the sideburn.  For now, I would wait.  You are early in the healing process and it may get to the point that with some minor alterations to your hairstyle, you can cover it up.  I would probably wait a year or so.  If you are still unhappy with the result, hair transplants are definately an option.  Usually one and rarely two sessions can get you the result you want.  There are other types of facelifts where the incision is made in front of the sideburn in an attempt to prevent lifting of the sideburn.  This can leave you with a scar in front of the sideburn.  Again, hair transplants are good options and cover the unsightly scar very well. 

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

It can be fixed.

It is unfortunate that you have this problem which we have treated for more than 30 years. Many surgeons still do this this was and elevate the sideburn leaving a bald patch. The area can be corrected by hair grafting or by flap rotation. Make sure you see someone with a great deal of experience so that they don't make matters worse. See specific examples of their work with sideburn reconstruction.

To be real - not a lot.

Unfortunately this is one of the risks of facelift surgery where the scar close to the hair line can result in hair loss to the area. In most cases this will be permanent and you will never have hair in that area again.

This is why I use my revolutionary technique - Concept Facelift - as it minimises this happening.

The best natural solution is to replace the lost hair with hair transplant which will look very natural and replace the lost hair with individual follicles and its best to get advice from a hair transplant surgeon to rectify this. However this is very costly so may not be an option.

Talk to your surgeon and see if he can do anything to help you and good luck.

Hair transplant surgery and Scalp MicroPigmentation can address facelift scars.

Hair transplant surgery and Scalp MicroPigmentation can address facelift scars.  It can also add side burns.  It is always a good idea to see a doctor to make sure you would be a candidate for such surgery.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Unfortunately, this is commonly seen after a face lift, but not usually this severe. There are small changes in the incisions that minimize the problem. Now that the problem exits with you, the best treatment is a hair transplantation from an area with suitable hair, usually the back of the scalp. The follicular grafts must be placed very flat on the scalp and some experience is needed for this, but the transplants are generally successful and can be made to look very natural.

Hairline after Facelift

This is one of the most common reasons I do hair transplants in women because the hairline around the ear has been distorted or lost.  Hair transplantation in this area has a high success rate, but the key is putting hair in the right direction and using the right texture so it looks natural. 

Jack Fisher, MD