How Long Does Hair Transplant Last?

I'm considering a hair transplant and I have male pattern baldness. Is surgery just a temporary solution? How would I be able to achieve full head of hair if Male Pattern Baldness is progressive? The doctor recommended i get 4000 grafts. If I can get it done in one surgery OK, but I don't want to be going in and out of surgery every few years. Am I just delaying the inevitable?

Permanence of Hair Transplants

Thanks for your question. The results of a hair transplant procedure performed by a qualified, experienced surgeon are generally permanent. However, hair loss may continue to occur on other parts of the head, and some patients require occasional "touch-up" treatments to maintain their results. Others may benefit from supplemental non-surgical treatments such as Rogaine® or laser therapy. Your doctor can provide you with a customized treatment plan that gives you effective, long-term results rather than just "delaying the inevitable."

Hair Transplants last

Hair Transplants should last forever.  The hairs used are permanent.  However, large cases may not do as well depending on how long it takes to complete the case. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Hair Transplant for Permanent Solution

The great part about hair transplantation is that it is a permanent solution for hair loss.  After your hair transplantation procedure, we recommend a combination of laser hair therapy, propecia, and Rogaine to help solidify the transplanted hair follicles and aid in slowing the loss of hair from follicles that were not transplanted.  Talk with your doctor about his recommendations for post transplantation hair care.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Length of time hair transplant lasts

Hair transplant is permanent!  You doctor will be able to tell you his or her success rate per graft.  I quote our patients higher than 95% take rate. 

4000 grafts is a mega session and will likely correct most of the baldness you see now.  If your balding continues and you don't take steps to minimize further baldness, new areas may show up in the future.  Talk with your doctor and make sure what steps are recommended to prevent future baldness. 

Hair transplantation is a permanent solution

Transplanted hair will generally retain the characteristics of the donor hair from the back and sides of your head, in terms of color and texture.  Over your lifetime even the hair in the back may thin slightly, and the transplanted hair may also become finer.  It is critical to plan with the understanding that you may continue to lose hair in the front and sides of the head.  Thus the transplanted hair needs to be integrated with your existing hair in a natural pattern.  Best of luck!

Scott Boden, MD
Hartford Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplants should last forever if the correct donor area is used - FUE caveat

A hair transplant works by moving hair from the "safe donor area" which is the horseshoe area of hair that most men retain.  These hairs are genetically programmed to survive even in male pattern baldness.  The transplanted hairs retain their characteristics of where they came from and survive as the the other hairs not transplanted are lost. 

A FUE caveat:

1. I have seen patients who have had large FUE sessions (above 2000 grafts) particularly outside the US where they have clearly had hairs transplanted outside of the safe donor area.  Many of these grafts may not survive in the long term.

How Long Does Hair Transplant Last

This is a great question and one that we get often.  One reason why hair transplant surgery works so well is because we only transplant the hair that will last, which is the hair in the back of your head.  The density and amount of hair that you have in this region will dictate how many hairs we can transplant overall and thus the end result.  If we were to transplant hairs from the front of your head to the crown of your scalp, these hairs will likely fall out over time.  So in essence, hair transplant surgery should be permanent though the neighboring native hairs may thin and fall out as time passes.  I hope this helps!

Natalie Attenello, MD

BEST OF FUE

The best thıng about fue ıt lasts for lıfe tıme , hair folıcules of the back sıde of the male patıent genetıcly never falls as we romove and transplant them to frontal area patıent gets lıfe tıme haır growt ..

Ayse Ozturk, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

How Long Does Hair Transplant Last?

Thank you for your question. Surgical hair restoration transfers your own hair follicles from a donor site to a recipient site. Transplanted hairs are generally permanent and are not lost over time. In most cases, the back of the head is used as a donor site because follicles in this region are generally not substantially affected by the most common cause of male pattern baldness. It is important to understand that hair loss is progressive. The hair transplant procedure does not prevent further loss from non-transplanted areas. If an individual is actively losing hair, he may expect that pattern of hair loss to continue. There are medical treatments available that can help minimize that loss in most men. Speak with your hair restoration surgeon about recommendations in your case.

James M. Pearson, MD

How Long Does Hair Transplant Take?

The general consensus is that the transplanted hair should last a long time but can be subject to genetic hair loss, depending on where the hair was extracted from.

Hassan Nurein, MD
London Hair Restoration Surgeon