How Long Does Hair Transplant Last?

I'm considering a hair transplant and I have male pattern baldness. Is surgery just a temporary solution? How would I be able to achieve full head of hair if Male Pattern Baldness is progressive? The doctor recommended i get 4000 grafts. If I can get it done in one surgery OK, but I don't want to be going in and out of surgery every few years. Am I just delaying the inevitable?

Hair Transplant for Permanent Solution

The great part about hair transplantation is that it is a permanent solution for hair loss.  After your hair transplantation procedure, we recommend a combination of laser hair therapy, propecia, and Rogaine to help solidify the transplanted hair follicles and aid in slowing the loss of hair from follicles that were not transplanted.  Talk with your doctor about his recommendations for post transplantation hair care.

Length of time hair transplant lasts

Hair transplant is permanent!  You doctor will be able to tell you his or her success rate per graft.  I quote our patients higher than 95% take rate. 

4000 grafts is a mega session and will likely correct most of the baldness you see now.  If your balding continues and you don't take steps to minimize further baldness, new areas may show up in the future.  Talk with your doctor and make sure what steps are recommended to prevent future baldness. 

How long do hair transplant last?

It is of great importance remember that there is no standard, nor is there a guaranteed satisfactory result for everyone in all aesthetic surgeries. This is true over the entire lifespan. Hair transplantation is mostly about the art of illusion. The average density of the frontal area in someone with no hair loss is a minimum of 70 follicular units per cm2, however, a high density looking hair transplant is often a result achieved with 50 follicular units per cm2. With 50 cm2, it is certainly possible to achieve the appearance of normal density when a proper surgical plan and graft selection is implemented.

Furthermore, it is of the utmost importance to bare in mind that the idea of a “safe donor” area is deceptive. One can experience a 10-15% loss of the donor hair over a lifetime as well. Likewise, this loss may affect the transplanted hair and should be considered a natural phenomenon. In my professional opinion, a successful hair transplantation lasts for at least 10 years

Koray Erdogan, MD
Istanbul Hair Restoration Surgeon

Transplanted Hair Should Stick Around

Generally speaking, transplanted hair will remain indefinitely. However, some types of male pattern baldness are progressive. There are several ways to overcome this, including transplanting hair to areas that are not yet bald but may be in the future. Repeat surgeries are generally not advisable, because there's only a finite amount of donor hair available. I hope this helped to clear things up for you.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

How long do hair transplants last?

They should last forever!  Yahoo!  Once the transplanted hair has gone through its dormant then active phase, it should last forever if it was harvested from the hormone resistant area in the back of the scalp.  This hair can slowly lose a small amount of its density over many years, however.  I recommend the continues use of 1 mg per day of Finasteride and Minoxidil topically.

Gregory DeLange, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

How permanent is a Hair Transplant?

Generally speaking it is well established that a hair transplant is permanent. The hair follicles are taken from areas that are not genetically programmed to fall out such as the back and sides of the scalp. This is called the "Safe Zone".

It is note worthy and in my opinion however, if the hair is taken out side of the safe zones or along the edgesof the safe zone, then some of these hairs may have the genetic DNA to succumb to DHT driven male pattern baldness. In other words, some of these hairs could still fall out.

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplantation is a permanent solution

Transplanted hair will generally retain the characteristics of the donor hair from the back and sides of your head, in terms of color and texture.  Over your lifetime even the hair in the back may thin slightly, and the transplanted hair may also become finer.  It is critical to plan with the understanding that you may continue to lose hair in the front and sides of the head.  Thus the transplanted hair needs to be integrated with your existing hair in a natural pattern.  Best of luck!

Scott Boden, MD
Hartford Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplants should last forever if the correct donor area is used - FUE caveat

A hair transplant works by moving hair from the "safe donor area" which is the horseshoe area of hair that most men retain.  These hairs are genetically programmed to survive even in male pattern baldness.  The transplanted hairs retain their characteristics of where they came from and survive as the the other hairs not transplanted are lost. 

A FUE caveat:

1. I have seen patients who have had large FUE sessions (above 2000 grafts) particularly outside the US where they have clearly had hairs transplanted outside of the safe donor area.  Many of these grafts may not survive in the long term.

How Long Does Hair Transplant Last

This is a great question and one that we get often.  One reason why hair transplant surgery works so well is because we only transplant the hair that will last, which is the hair in the back of your head.  The density and amount of hair that you have in this region will dictate how many hairs we can transplant overall and thus the end result.  If we were to transplant hairs from the front of your head to the crown of your scalp, these hairs will likely fall out over time.  So in essence, hair transplant surgery should be permanent though the neighboring native hairs may thin and fall out as time passes.  I hope this helps!

Natalie Attenello, MD

BEST OF FUE

The best thıng about fue ıt lasts for lıfe tıme , hair folıcules of the back sıde of the male patıent genetıcly never falls as we romove and transplant them to frontal area patıent gets lıfe tıme haır growt ..

Ayse Ozturk, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon