How Long Does Hair Transplant Last?

I'm considering a hair transplant and I have male pattern baldness. Is surgery just a temporary solution? How would I be able to achieve full head of hair if Male Pattern Baldness is progressive? The doctor recommended i get 4000 grafts. If I can get it done in one surgery OK, but I don't want to be going in and out of surgery every few years. Am I just delaying the inevitable?

Hair Transplant for Permanent Solution

The great part about hair transplantation is that it is a permanent solution for hair loss.  After your hair transplantation procedure, we recommend a combination of laser hair therapy, propecia, and Rogaine to help solidify the transplanted hair follicles and aid in slowing the loss of hair from follicles that were not transplanted.  Talk with your doctor about his recommendations for post transplantation hair care.

How permanent is a Hair Transplant?

Generally speaking it is well established that a hair transplant is permanent. The hair follicles are taken from areas that are not genetically programmed to fall out such as the back and sides of the scalp. This is called the "Safe Zone".

It is note worthy and in my opinion however, if the hair is taken out side of the safe zones or along the edgesof the safe zone, then some of these hairs may have the genetic DNA to succumb to DHT driven male pattern baldness. In other words, some of these hairs could still fall out.

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Length of time hair transplant lasts

Hair transplant is permanent!  You doctor will be able to tell you his or her success rate per graft.  I quote our patients higher than 95% take rate. 

4000 grafts is a mega session and will likely correct most of the baldness you see now.  If your balding continues and you don't take steps to minimize further baldness, new areas may show up in the future.  Talk with your doctor and make sure what steps are recommended to prevent future baldness. 

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Hair Transplantation Results

Hair transplantation operation gives permanent results if the extraction is carried out from the safe zone of the donor site.
The hair follicles transplanted in the operation are genetically resistant to the impact of testosterone that triggers hair loss. The transplanted hair survives on the transplantation site for a lifetime. If the transplanted hair would later be lost, it would not make sense to have hair transplantation.
Of course your hair loss trend should be considered and some reserve of donor should be kept safe for future.
Considering finasterid and Minoxidil treatment is also necessary to minimize further hairloss.

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

How long will trasnplantred hairs last?

Excellent question! If the donor hairs are harvested entirely from the "Safe Zone," they should last indefinitely. Strip procedures have the benefit of ensuring that all harvested grafts come from this area, even for sessions of 4000 grafts or larger. However, for FUE, it is not possible to harvest such large numbers from within the traditional safe zone, and grafts harvested above and below this zone are more likely to disappear over time. This is something you must discuss with your surgeon.

It is almost always beneficial to slow down or stop the progression of male pattern hair loss with minoxidil, finasteride, laser therapy, and PRP to maximize your long term appearance of density.

Robert Haber, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Transplant Longevity

Thank you for your question. Transplanted hair should theoretically last a lifetime.  However, the native hair in the area may continue to thin if preventive measures are not taken. I hope this helps. Best wishes. 

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

Is a Hair Transplant Permanent? Yes, but...

That's a great question. The short answer is that the results of a hair transplant are permanent. The transplanted hair that is taken from the donor site at the back of the head (and potentially the sides as well) maintains its ability to grow no matter where you transplant it to (i.e. the bald/thinning ares). More accurately: as long as the hair is still growing at the donor site, the transplanted hair will continue to grow as well, since they share the same characteristics. For most men, that means the transplanted hair is permanent. 

Now here's the catch. There is a "safe zone" of donor hair that we know will continue to grow for a lifetime. If the surgeon harvests the donor hair beyond this safe zone--in a region where the hair eventually thins and stops growing--there is a chance that that the transplanted hair might stop growing eventually as well. Most experienced hair surgeons are aware of this and can plan accordingly given your particular type of hair loss and scalp anatomy.

One last thing, don't forget that hair loss is an ongoing process and that your hair continues to thin as you age. Although the transplanted hair will remain, your original hair around the transplants may continue to thin out. This might warrant future hair transplants to offset this progressive hair loss. Seek out an experienced hair surgeon who can help you understand what your particular hair loss situation may be, and can offer effective solutions to address it.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Y

Haresh Yalamanchili, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplants; one versus multiple

Great question.  The hair that is transplanted is permanent and does not need to be redone.  However, male pattern baldness is progressive and the area of thinning may continue behind the area that was grafted.  

One option is to wait until the thinning has slowed or stopped before undergoing transplant.  This is why I usually don't recommend transplant to men in their early 30s, unless they are committed to getting another transplant as time progresses.  The early temporal balding can be filled in and this hair will stay, but balding behind there will continue.  For some men, having another transplant is a fine option, while others prefer to wait.  It is a personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer.  As most transplants are charged by the graft and the patient is awake (meaning you don't pay for OR time or anesthesia) there is not much difference between two or three small procedures versus one large one.  

At our office we use the neograft system which gently removes individual follicles from the back of the head (the “donor area”) in their naturally occurring groupings of about 1-4 hairs. The follicles are then implanted one by one in the areas of the scalp where balding has occurred.   The recovery is quicker, there is no large scar and the results appear very natural.  While there is some downtime with each procedure, it is quite minimal.

Best of luck

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long does hair transplant last

The most amazing thing about hair transplant surgery is that the results are permanent. The hairs that used are not typically affected by DHT and thus are not prone to miniaturization and loss.  With a proper regimen of laser therapy, folligro (our unique PRP regimen), propecia, and Rogaine the results can often be dramatic and long-lasting. 

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Durability of hair transplant

As long as donor hair is harvested from the "safe area" on the back and sides of your head the hair should be permanent.Most people do end up doing 2 or more procedures,since hair loss is progressive and there is a physical limit to what can be done in a single procedure.And since hair loss is progressive ideally you want to do something that will stop the loss of hair-effective adjuncts are Propecia(generic is Finasteride),Rogaine ( generic is Minoxidil),low-level laser light therapy and PRP (platelet rich plasma).

David Deutsch, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon