I got breast implants 2 years ago. I feel a lump on my left breast and I'm worried

hi, i got breast implants 2 years ago,i feel a lump on my left breast since last month and today i felt a burning sensation, what could it be ? thank you. looks normal just feels strange.

Doctor Answers 8

Breast lump palpated after BA

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


You should get the lump checked out by a physician without delay. It could be related to the implants or may be an issue related to the breast tissue. You may need imaging to better diagnose what is going on.

Good luck!

Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 57 reviews

Breast lump after breast implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I always tell my patients to follow up with me first if they notice any new change in their breasts. In my experience, 99 times out of 100 the patient is feeling a part of the implant. It could be a fold or a valve or even the implant edge. If it is obviously implant I can reassure my patients and send them on their way. If it is not implant, then I send them on for breast imaging. This could be fibrocystic changes, a benign tumor or cancer. I am happy to quarterback this evaluation for my patients and I am sure your surgeon would be as well.  We know what an implant feels like and can evaluate that better than your primary care doctor and we can also order appropriate imaging where necessary. Start with a call to your surgeon.  

Melinda Haws, MD
Nashville Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 48 reviews

Breast Lump

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.

While the lump is likely to be nothing of concern, any new breast mass/lump/lesion needs to be evaluated by a medical professional.  I recommend you contact your plastic surgeon or primary care physician for an in-person examination urgently.


Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Breast lump

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Any breast lump should be evaluated in person. You are best to go to your surgeon  to be seen in person.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Breast Lump Two Years after Breast Augmentation #breastaugmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
  • Whenever a woman notices a new breast mass it is always prudent to see a physician to be evaluated.
  • I'd recommend either seeing your plastic surgeon or primary care physician.  They will perform a physical examination and then set up any imaging studies such as mammogram, ultrasound, or MRI, if needed.
  • Don't put this off any longer!
  • Thanks for sharing!

Lump in breast

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello and thank you for posting your question! I know the stress that can be caused when any woman finds a lump in their breast that wasn't there before. It can be scary and I have seen/heard of women putting off seeing their doctor because deep down they are scared. I think the most important thing in this situation is to be evaluated by either your OB/Gyn or even your plastic surgeon and to set up the appointment today! They may recommend further imaging like a mammogram, ulstrasound or MRI. The bottom line however, is that you need to be evaluated by a physician who knows how to do breast exams and knows how to proceed when a lump is found. As I stated before, please do not put this off! I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

Lump 2 years post-op.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Lumps are always worrisome because they can be due to a multitude of things, some which are serious, some which are not. All new lumps should be treated with suspicion.

Lumps can start to develop due to significant capsular contracture in which case you require a capsulectomy, or even if a silicone implant has ruptured. If there was a rupture, and the parts of the implant broke off, it may feel like a lump and this may have to be diagnosed using an MRI.

The breast lump like the one you're describing could also possibly be a ripple in the implant shell that is appearing now because your breast skin is thinning allowing the implant to be palpable.

Alternatively, and less likely, it could be a benign or cancerous breast mass, and this is why every suspicious mass should be evaluated and properly biopsied.

Without pictures, and in-person exam, no conclusive diagnosis can be made.

Please visit a board-certified plastic surgeon, preferably your first surgeon who has your medical and family history, to have a breast evaluation, and if there is something suspicious, a mammogram may be needed. I urge you to not wait, and set up an in-person follow-up with your surgeon sooner than later.

Take care

Martin Jugenburg, MD
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 521 reviews

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr. Schwartz

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon



These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.