Hole in incision after implants had to be taken out. Is this bad? (photos)

My implants had to be taken out because of an infection. It has been 17 days since then. I had copper stitches taken out today but there is a hole. Will this close on it's own or do I need medical attn? Does the scar look normal to you? Doctor tells me my body was rejecting the stitches and pushing them out. I am worried that the healing is not going well.

Hole in incision

Hi cmendez1699. I'm sorry you had to remove your implants. From the picture you provided, it looks as though the hole will close on its own and your incision does not look infected. Since you had an implant infection, it's quite common for your stitches to natural come out on its own, but healing will take longer than usual. If you are still having concerns, please follow-up with your surgeon. I wish you the best of luck!

Implant infection and incision not healed

It is not unusual to have stitches pushing through an incision that had an implant infection; due to the infection, the stitches will have a more difficult time getting absorbed and so they will naturally spit out; this will result in delayed healing but ultimately it will heal. Just be patient.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Incision opening up

I have not heard of "copper stitches". I think what you might be describing are chromic gut sutures which I almost never use on the skin simply because everyone is very reactive with them. Whenever I take out an implant, especially in the setting of infection, I almost always place a drain. Is there fluid leaking out of the hole? My concern is that without a drain, all of the inflammatory fluid has built up and trying to work its way out. I would definitely go see your surgeon. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Hole in incision

Sorry  you had to have your implants removed. Address your concerns with your surgeon. Without seeing you in person it's difficult to answer all of your questions. Most holes of this size will close very quickly with the right wound care regimen. Your incision does not look infected in the photo. Don't worry about the appearance of your scar. Your surgeon can cut out that scar when they go back in the future to replace your implant.  Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Hole in incision

Because your implants had to be removed, the incision also is struggling, but will definitely heal by itself.