Wearing a hat for sun exposure post hair transplant?

Hello respected doctors. I am 1 month post FUT and went to the beach for the first time post. 4pm Australian sun, 30 minutes max on the beach. I wore a bandana and a black hat on top just to be extra safe. Don't like sun screen and dint use it. Question is 1) it is cap/hat or sunscreen right ? Doesn't have to be both right ? Question 2) Will heat generated from under the cap and bandana have any negative on the follicles ? Kind Regards, Dr. KK

A light colored hat or bandana is sufficient to protect yor hair. But both simultaneously are not required or recommended. Sunscreen on the scalp is not a reliable protection and should be avoided for at least the first three months after your transplant. Heat and UV light are not, especially together conducive to a follicles well being.

New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

It is best to ask your doctor for post surgical questions. Wearing hats or bandanas should be fine after surgery.

It is best to ask your doctor for post surgical questions. Wearing hats or bandanas should be fine after surgery.  There is no issue with heat generated from wearing a hat.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post transplant protocol and UV protection

Sun and UV exposure is enemy of healing.  Furthermore your scalp and follicles prefer to be at a slightly cooler temperature than the rest of your body.   Heat and follicles are not a happy mix. 

Definitly cover your recipient with a breathable cloth or breathable loose hat.  If in hot temperatures, use a cooling mist or a cool compress to cool the areas.  

Overexposure to sun and uv rays will not only injure the scalp causing irriation and infalmmation in the dermal layer, by that same process, it will delay your growth as it will dessicate grafts that for the first few months are more dependent on the surrounding tissue to provide them protection, hydration, and nourishment. 

Take care of your procedure properly and be patient for optimal yield. 

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

NeoGraft

Thank you for your question. It is good that you have waited 1 month before exposure, however, I recommend that you wear a lightweight hat and remain in the shade as much as possible. Also, I suggest that you consult with the board certified facial plastic surgeon who performed your procedure for additional recovery guidelines.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hat

A hat is a good idea if placed carefully. You do not want a sunburn or sunscreen as those would affect your results.

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Sun protection after hair restoration

You did the right thing.  As long as you are protecting your scalp from the sun either way, you will be fine.  Having a bandana to soften things and absorb any excess sweat was a very good idea. If anything, I would tell you to use a lighter color hat as it will not get nearly as hot as a black hat. 

Heat in it of itself will not have any negative effect on the follicles.  You are one month post FUT - at this point you are pretty safe in regards to infection, follicle loss, etc.  However, as your scalp sweats from the heat you can develop obstruction of the follicles and subsequent ingrown hairs.  What you did was correct. 

Enjoy the sun! And remember to put on sunscreen on the rest of your body! The australian sun can be incredibly strong (as you well know)

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

After a hair transplant

It is a good idea to use cover for your head and baseball caps, even down under, works well. Use a good blocker if you don't labor in the sun

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon