Thick Scars after Breast Reduction, is this normal? (photos)

I have developed these scars after breast reduction. It has been 5 months. Is this type of scarring normal? Surgeon has been dismissive about them. They are also extremely painful to the point I cannot stand clothing against them.

Scars after reduction

Thank you for your question and photos.  I am sorry to hear about your scars.  They are definitely thicker and redder than normal at 5 months.  Unfortunately you have developed a hypertrophic scar.  These can occur in some cases when the incisions are too tight or due to your genetics.  At this point, your surgeon may recommend scar massage, silicone therapy, and steroid injections.  If you do not see improvement by 8-12 months after surgery, the only other option would be a scar revision surgery.  Good luck.  

Postop Scar Hypertrophy

As you know, scarring is expected after surgery, but your scars are thicker and more pronounced than most women's.  Usually in a case like this, we begin with steroid injection into the scar and aggressive external scar treatments.  If that doesn't work, the only approach may be excision.   Unfortunately, the same genetics that caused the thickening the first surgery may result in the same with a second surgery.

Samuel Beran, MD

Scar hypertrophy

Your scars are definitely thicker and more discolored than average.  This almost certainly has more to do with your genetics than the surgical technique, but given your current situation, your surgeon should help you minimize the scars as much as possible.  I would consider steroid injections (usually 3 treatments based 6-8 weeks apart), as well as silicone sheeting or a topical silicone product like Biocorneum. Scar massage and UV avoidance is helpful too.  There may be a local scar / keloid treatment center that you could look into too if needed. If you don't get improvement, scar revision at some point with more aggressive early scar care may be necessary. Scars tend to improve over time so better to start with non-surgical options first. Good luck!

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Bad breast reduction scars

Your scars are worse than most and are "hypertrophic" and bordering on "keloid." The crease scar also is not located in the crease unfortunately. You can have steroids injected in them to help.