Does the nipple lose feeling after breast reduction/lift surgery?

Loss of nipple sensation

Thank you very much for your question. Although rare, there is always a small chance for the nipple to lose sensation following a breast lift or reduction, either temporarily or in some cases, permanently. I recommend that you speak with your board certified plastic surgeon about the chances for nipple sensitivity loss following these procedures.

Nipple feeling after breasts lifts and reductions.

The nipple rarely loses feeling after a breast lift, but it can happen. It is a bit more common in breast reductions. Individual differences in anatomy, previous scars, as well as the required surgical technique are all factors that may impact this. Often the loss of feeling is temporary and may come back.

Few

Majority of patients have fine sensitivity after breast reduction surgery. On the average approximately 10-15 percent of women may lose sensitivity from denervation of 4th lateral intercostal nerve 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Yes there is a risk of loss or change of nipple/ areola sensation with breast lifting or reduction surgery. Exact percentages are hard to come by but my estimation would be 5 to 10% risk of a decreased or complete loss of sensation with (most of) these operations.

Patients must weigh this risk (along with many others) against the benefits of the procedure when contemplating breast lifting or reduction surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.