Is it normal for a brand new crown (not yet attached to tooth) to break when asked to bite down on it?

I had a root canal on a molar done by specialist. Then my dentist prepared the tooth for a crown. When he put the crown on the tooth and told me to bite down hard... I did....when he asked me to bite down hard a second time, the new crown broke in half. Is this normal? How can it last if it is so easily broken? Is my dentist doing so getting wrong?

New Crown Breaking

Was the crown a permanent crown or a temporary crown?

Temporary crowns are acrylic, if it is to thin, can crack easily.  

If the crown is a permanent crown, cracking of the porcelain is not normal during insertion.  However, certain factors could have caused the crown porcelain to crack:

1.  Imperfection or impurity in the porcelain which caused a weak area.  

2.  Inadequate reduction of tooth resulting in a thin area of porcelain and weak spot.  If this is the cause your dentist must reprep the tooth to provide adequate room and thickness of porcelain.  

Saint Louis Dentist