Is 30 too young for a surgical mini facelift or thread lift etc.? (Photo)

Hi, I am 30 years old and have noticed the lower part of my face starting to sag. I have had botox since the age of 25 and have tried dermal fillers once to my upper cheeks but absolutely hated the result so I am not keen to try this again. Could I be a candidate for a mini facelift of some kind? Note that the photo is actually 3 years old so I look a little bit worse now.

Mini Facelift

Dear Emily,

Although you look quite young, you might benefit from a facelift.  There is really no specific age criteria when a facelift should be considered. The choice of a cosmetic procedure depends on one's facial structures skin type and degree of facial laxity.  Of course, a photo could be a bit misleading and I would not rely solely on the advice given over the internet.  The best procedure could only be determined during an in-person consultation.  

Best wishes!
Dr. Konstantin

Mini lift

If anything a mini lift would be indicated for you.  Thread lifts are no longer being recommended.  This procedure would help the contour of your lower face, to eliminate the jowls.  

Mini Facelift at 30 Years Old

When I look at patients in order to evaluate their options for rejuvenation of their neckline I look at a few areas:
1) General health of the patient
2) Anatomy of neck

I hope that you noticed that I did not mention age as a criteria. We all age at different rates and some may require interventions at earlier ages.

Before a patient could be candidate for a mini lift, they have to be in great health to undergo surgery. If a patient is in good health, then I look at the anatomy to guide my recommendations.

You have a very limited view of your anatomy because of limit singel view picture you posted.  When looking at your anatomy you have:

1) Weak Chin
2) Excess skin in the neck and jawline

For these reasons, I would recommend a mini lift and likely a chin implant. 

Mini facelift and age

You show a very limited view of your potential problem. I learned from my mentor to never look or ask for the patient's age. The age will give us a bias of what procedures they may or may not need. Instead, look for the appearance, anatomy, and problems that I see that my patient has. Then I apply what I have learned that is proven to work in order to help my patient.

Look for a consultation with a Facial/Plastic Surgeon in your area.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is 30 too young for a surgical mini facelift or thread lift etc.?

An up dated photo would be helpful in the evaluation but the presence of jowls, in the face, is the primary indication for any type of facelift.  This can happen in the early 30's and those are the ideal candidates for a minimally invasive facelift.  If jowls exist, the underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (suspension suture or threads will not last and as such, should be avoided IMHO). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Perlane) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
Hope this helps.

Age for Mini Facelift

I do think you are too young for a mini facelift, but do agree it should be sooner rather than later. For now I would suggest nonsurgical treatments. For example, using fillers to improve the contour of your pre jowl area, and to improve the jawline. Regular facials and skin care treatments are a must to keep your skin fresh and youthful. Laser treatments or micro needling may help. In my opinion, 40 would be a great age for a mini facelift. Sometimes we do facial rejuvenation surgery on younger patients, so I would consider some consultations with board certified plastic surgeons to see what your options are.

Young age for mini facelift

Thank you for your question. You are certainly on the young end of the spectrum to consider a facelifting procedure, but in some cases, that is really what is required to achieve the look you desire. I would definitely recommend a consultation, and be very specific about the concerns you have. Best of luck.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Mini lift at 30

Thank you for asking about your mini-lift.

1. Please do not have a thread lift - they do not last and can be distorting.
  2. A lower face lift (which some call a mini lift) seems likely to give you a nice result.
  3. An examination and discussion are needed to be sure.
  4. Please protect your skin from the sun - it is a common cause of early aging.
  5. We think of the sun damaging the outer skin but the sun rays penetrate and damage deep skin also.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.