Turmeric & arnica for inflammation and bruising?

How do you feel about taking Turmeric and Arnica for inflammation and bruising post op? How long should I take it and how many times a day typically?

Tumeric and arnica

There is no proof for either but I am a big believer in both.  Tumeric is believed to be anti-inflammatory and being Persian, I put it on everything!

Turmeric and Arnica; For Inflammation and Bruising

I suggest to my patients beginning supplements such as  bromelain or arnica a week or two before their procedure(s). However, its best to consult with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon beforehand. She or he will make suggestions according to your procedure and medical records in addition to discussing your pre-op preparations. Also, such may be provided for you with your pre-op material and prescriptions in time for your recovery period. You will learn more about preparing at your pre-op appointment.

Arnica?

Hello! Thank you for your question! The recommendations for the use of these homeopathic medications are surgeon preference. I typically suggest the use of Arnica Montana to decrease swelling and bruising. It is an herbal medication that is propagated from the seeds of an herb. I, as well as my patients, have seen some benefit with the treatment in the postoperative period. Although there is little evidence to its effectiveness, I believe there is some benefit, and no harm. I recommend 4-5 tablets under the tongue 4x/day for 3-5 days prior and 5-7 days after the procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Arnica and Tumeric for Post-Operative Bruising

Arnica and Tumeric are homeopathic medications with a wide number of effects with some of them having a positive profile when taken around the time of surgery. Arnica, when taken sub-lingual 3 times daily after surgery can help decrease bruising after surgery. Usually a 3 day course is sufficient. Topical Arnica may not have a potent effect on normal skin, but may help with thin skin around the eyelid. Tumeric may as well help, Bromelain may be more effective for swelling and inflamation. The negative effects of both medications are minimal, so any benefit is a bonus. Be aware of quality of supplement. Our office uses Vitamedica brand, which is easy to take and great quality.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Dr Derby

It is always best to discuss it first with your surgeon but in general homeopatic remedies like arnica have no contra indications and they can help relief post operative symptoms.
Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Inflammation

Hello Diamond D,
Thank you for your question. Bruising and swelling are very common after tummy tuck surgery. In our practice we offer a Homeopathic remedy that combines Arnica and Bromelain which helps with post operative symptoms. You may find most of these supplements at your local health food store. Good luck to you.

Kindly,

Dr. Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon