What can I do about a large/fat mons pubis? (photos)

My mons pubis is very large and fat, it doesn't fit my body at all. I am slightly overweight, according to my Bmi, I need to lose 10 pounds until I'm at a 'healthy' weight. However, my mons pubis looks like it should be on someone who is morbidly obese. It's huge and it's causing me a lot of humiliation. Is there a surgery I can get to reduce the size? Like lipo? Whats the average costs for lipo on this area? Also, how does this happen to someone who is not obese? Is it caused by a medical issue?

The mons pubis is a common place for people to get liposuction.

It can be difficult when a part of the body is out of proportion with its overall shape. An oversized mons pubis can certainly cause self-consciousness or embarrassment. By removing the excess fat that has gathered there, liposuction in this area can reduce the size of your mons pubis. The cost of a liposuction procedure can vary according to region and practitioner, and may run several thousand dollars. In terms of the cause for your mons pubis, I wouldn’t worry that there’s an underlying medical issue to blame. It’s likely thanks to genetics that your body distributes and stores fat here.

Mons Pubis -- VASER HI DEF CONTOURING with or without panniculectomy

sometimes liposuction alone helps but often the skin needs to be removed. I suggest speaking to an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction - What can I do about a large/fat mons pubis? (photos)

Your issue is quite common and I have treated several patients for this with liposuction. This can be safely done without general anesthesia and little discomfort. I prefer to use Tickle Liposuction than traditional, laser assisted or any means of melting or freezing fat. My patients experience a lot less discomfort and have little to no real down time. It is a surgery, but very gentle and very rewarding.I recommend you see a Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery for a consultation. I appreciate that you're dealing with humiliation and am confident that liposuction will make a great improvement for you.Good luck!

Reza Rod, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

What can I do about a large/fat mons pubis?

Fat distribution in the mons area is fairly common. Liposuction, especially laser-assisted liposuction (Smartlipo) is very good at removing excess fat in this area. Genetics play the biggest factor in development of in this area.

Mons pubis reduction

Thank you for asking about your mons pubis.
  • Yes, indeed - you do not have to live with this problem'.
  • Although it may be made slightly more noticeable by being a few pounds overweight, that is not the main problem.
  • The main problem is that excessive fat is stored by your body in this area, for genetic reason.
  • You will either just need liposuction or your may need a skin lift as well - if liposuction leaves the skin loose.
  • At times, this can be done with local anesthesia, at times it requires general anesthesia.
  • So the cost does vary - so it is best to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon in your area to decide exactly what you want done and based on that - the cost.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hello SamanthaW1300 - Thanks for your question. Yes, you can have liposuction to the area to reduce the fat, but if you have any loose skin afterwards, you would need a mons lift to tighten it. After you lose the 10lbs. you need to improve your overall health, I would recommend that you consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to address this concern. Costs will vary by area of the country and by individual surgeon.  There is no set cost for liposuction.  An isolated fatty mons is an unusual situation, so a CT scan of the area prior to surgery may be warranted. Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

In response to your question regarding a large mons pubis, yes a enlarged mons pubis can be addressed.  Sometimes we would just do liposuction alone, other times we may need to perform liposuction with a skin resection in a bikini line. I often reduce and lift the mons when I do a tummy tuck. This is not due to your being slightly overweight. I would speak to a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of plastic surgery to determine what would be best.

Stanley P. Gulin, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Large Mons

Thank you for your question.  Based on the picture you probably need  both liposuction and reduction by excising some of the loose skin. Yes it is more common in bariatric patients and it can happen with others too. Sometimes we combine this part with tummy tuck. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

Liposuction and Pubic Lift

Although liposuction is a great option for the mons pubis that has an isolated fat deposit, there may be skin laxity after doing a large amount of suction. Therefore some type of surgical mons lift could be performed. The incision length and extent depends on if you have lax skin and tissues above. Then it could evolve into something more extensive like a tummy tuck with pubic lift. It's good to see a board certified ASAPS plastic surgeon in consultation to get a physical exam if you are interested in pursuing treatment! Good luck!

It is actually more common that you probably thing for women to be unhappy with the "fullness" at their mons pubis. This fat pad actually serves a purpose in that it help to cushion this area during sexual intercourse. Just like we can gain weight in our abdomen or love handles, we can also gain weight in our mons pubis. It is very normal to have a trouble area where you gain weight faster than other areas of you body. Liposuction was actually meant for this type of problem. When you are not really overweight but have a stubborn pocket of fat that does not go away with diet and exercise. The cost of liposuction varies. It is best to contact individual board certified plastic surgeons to see what they charge.