BBL or Halo for melasma and capillaries? (photos)

I just had a consultation for melasma, fine lines/wrinkles and capillaries. A combination of BBL and Halo treatments were recommended. In my research it seems BBL will address all of my issues and is gentler as well as less expensive. I've had fraxel restore treatments in the past (2008) for melisma and I responded very well to the first treatment. Which would be the best treatment to begin with? Is it possible that BBL will be enough to achieve the desired results? I'm 41 yr old Sicilian woman.

Neither- bleaching creams and gentle laser best.

Neither. For melasma you should be on a cream first- this stops rebound pigmentation. Halo is not recommend as a treatment for melasma, nor IPL. Gentle Q switch lasers, coupled with prescription creams is the treatment of choice. 

Remember your SPF as well. 

More info below 

DR Davin Lim

Brisbane Dermatologist

Halo is safe and effective for melasma, but may need multiple treatments

We start with HQ(Hydroquinone, RX) bleaching cream with tretinoin and sunscreen use for 4-6 weeks prior to any laser treatments for melasma.  Some lasers can make melasma worse so you should be very careful to choose which laser treatments you will pursue.  Halo is pretty safe to use melasma with good results. Typically, you need multiple halo treatments to treat melasma in different depths or a few halo treatments then BBL treatments.  It is very important to use non HQ bleaching cream and sunscreen as a long-term maintenance after the laser treatments.  

Dr. Kevin Belasco

Kevin T. Belasco, DO
Newport Beach Dermatologist

Melasma Treatment Options

Hi and thank you for your question! 
In our practice, we would likely put you on an aggressive pre-treatment regimen of skin preparation including bleaching creams and retinol, among other products. This would occur for 4-6 weeks, preferably 6 weeks. We would recommend 2 Halo's (6 weeks apart), to see how much of the pigment will respond. It's very difficult to tell how deep melasma is, so some may lighten and some may not. If some of it did not lighten, we may recommend a series of BBL to target the more superficial pigment. Treating melasma is a very tricky and complex process, and it is a lifelong process as well. Its often requires maintenance treatments and always requires appropriate skin care after treatments to keep it under control.
Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Halo + BBL combination

Thank you for your question. The Halo is a great option for your skin to get rid of the melasma and unwanted pigment. At our office we pre/post-treat your skin with special compound cream.  The day of your Halo treatment we would first treat you with a BBL first to decrease the capillaries on your face, then immediately proceed to performing the Halo Laser.

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS