Am I supposed to massage or stretch my lips after having PermaLip implants?

I had my lip implants placed a little over 2 weeks ago and I've been reading other people's posts stating they've massaged and and stretched their lips. Is this necessary? I was not told to do so. My lips feel fine but it is still difficult to smile big or open my mouth wide

Permalip implants: stretch them but don't massage

I generally recommend smiling and wide mouth opening exercises (when permitted by your surgeon) to reduce the feeling of implant tightness.  Massage of the implants is generally unnecessary and may cause lateral displacement (shifting) of the implants.

Plano Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Plano Plastic Surgeon

Lip implant massage

The lip implants massage themselves when you talk, eat, smile, frown, etc., and this is usually enough to keep the capsule that forms around them from contracting.  Everyone is different, however, so ask your surgeon if you need to do this - you may be particularly prone to capsule contracture. 

Lip implant massage

Follow your surgeon's post op instructions, as he is the one monitoring your recovery.  In general, the massage is usually not necessary.

Stretching lip implants

We will usually have our patients begin stretching their lips and implants at around 2 weeks after surgery once we are assured the incisions for insertion have healed well. Check with your surgeon to see if this is something they want you to do.

Stretching lip implants