What are the pros and cons of Lip Implants as opposed to injections? And average costs?

Pros and Cons of Lip Implants

Lip implants come in 3 main varieties and cost roughly $1500-2000 each. They are permanent and easy to put in in about 20 min under local. They are also easy to remove if needed. Like any implant they can get infected so antibiotics are always prescribed for 1 week. They do look very natural when done right. They can be stacked so if you want a larger lip then just add another implant. They come in multiple sizes. Fat injections and allografts are temporary and don't look as nice. Silicone injections are usually disasterous. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

TrishPedersen, I don't perform nor do I recommend lip implants other than Alloderm. This is the only semi-long term implant that doesn't or hasn't stiffened that I've seen over the past 25 years and counting. Other than that I use injectables. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent lip implants such as PermaLip™ gives lips a fuller appearance and reduces the fine lines and wrinkles. It will help effectively fight the signs of ageing, improve your smile, and leave your lips looking wonderfully natural. Permalip™ are revolutionary lip implants that are designed to look and feel natural, yet enhance your lip volume to the desired size. It does not deflate, degrade or rupture over time. Although it’s permanent, it is designed for the ease of placement if a patient wishes to achieve a larger or smaller enhancement or even return to the lips original appearance. It does not limit lip movement and provides a natural look.There are pros for both lip fillers and lip implants
  • Improve your self confidence with a perfect pout
  • Forever fuller lips with our permanent solutions
  • No need to hide, you can be back to work in days.
  • Walk-in, walk-out procedure
  • Variety of options to choose from to give you the lips you want
  • Look and feel natural
The cons of lip filler, which most of my patients express are: lip filler is only temporary therefore becoming costly paying £300 every 4-6 months, also lip filler can sometimes create a 'fake' look - therefore they feel Permalip lip implants look more natural and more cost effective.Please find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.
Best Wishes

Lip implants

Thanks for your question.
I would not suggest lip implants.
If the lip implant has a complication-- it most likely can with current implants-- it can cause scarring and contour changes that are difficult if not impossible to correct.
Lip augmentation with fillers are done successfully with great results.
Dr Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Pros and cons of lip implants vs fillers

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane and Belotero have several advantages over permanent lip implants. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Also, as your face ages it changes over the years. Touch up treatments are constantly being modified to fit the changing face.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Implants

Lip implants are permanent which has some disadvantages. If you are not happy it would require a second procedure. And , the results do not always look natural I have also seen scarring develop which is rare with injectable lip fillers. I prefer the injectable lip fillers and do not perform the other procedure 

Susan Goodlerner, MD
Torrance Dermatologist

Lips injections vs implants

I do not perform lips implants in my office for a few reasons. 1. implants always have a higher risk of infection; 2. they never look or feel as natural; 3. they always look that way (i.e., your body will age naturally no matter what you do somewhat, and implants will always look that way, so over time, people with lip implants look intensely unnatural and even weird); 4. I've taken a lot of lip implants or permanent lip fillers out, and it's never easy for the doctor or the patient! So this is why I always opt for hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane in the lips. It's natural-looking, soft, looks good, and you can add or subtract filler accordingly!

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Injectables will feel more natural

Hyaluronic acid fillers will feel more natural and limit your chances for complications such as extrusion, infection or scarring.  Cost really depends on your lips and the look you are trying to achieve.  I find that a single syringe of Juvederm works well for most people who just want a little more fullness and definition to their lips.  Having said that, there are others who require 2 or even 3 syringes to get the look they are going for.

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip implants

After many years there has not been a material that feels or looks as natural as actual lips. While it may seem easier to get implants on a long term basis, my experience is that patients are not satisfied with them.
Fillers, performed correctly can give you a natural look, while avoiding the feeling of having an implant.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon