Experiencing severe heel pain on Accutane, especially in the morning. What causes this and what can help?

The only side effect I am experiencing other than the obvious dryness is pain in my heels (the back of my heels, below Achilles tendon, not under my heels). Why does the medication cause this and what can I do to relieve the pain and stiffness?

Accutane side effects

Thank you for your question. Muscle or joint pains are a side effect of Accutane, and although rare, Achilles tendonitis is a possible side effects. In my experience, decreasing the dose resolved the heel pain, but if the heel pain was persistent, then therapy would be discontinued. I highly recommend you speak with your prescribing physician regarding your symptoms and for further direction. Take care and good luck.