What went wrong with my tummy tuck? (Photo)

I got a tummy tuck 8 weeks ago and I am very unhappy with my results. About 3 weeks ago one side of my stomach started looking different then the other. It's hard to describe it so I posted pics. I followed up with the surgeon and he said he's never seen this happen before in the stomach area. He told me to wait for the area to "loosen up" and he can do a revision. I also have dark spots above my belly button and I am not sure what it's coming from. I would like to know why this is happening?

Thank you for your question. I recommend following up with your plastic surgeon.  It's difficult to determine what's going on based on photos alone. It maybe a simple fluid collection that's needs to be drained. But a follow up in office is recommended. Good luck with your recovery .

Allentown Plastic Surgeon

TT Result

These are reasonable questions to ask your surgeon. Based on the photos only, it is hard to guide you or understand what could have happened. Best wishes.

Thank you for your question and series of photographs and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  It is difficult without an in-person examination to determine what may be taking place.  Most commonly this is residual swelling from surgery and continued excess skin and adipose tissue.  The latter will resolve spontaneously but the latter will require a revision.  It is also important to voice your concerns to your surgeon to ensure that other issues are not taking place - discrete fluid collection or muscle laxity.  Hope this helps.

8 weeks post op

From your photos it looks like you may have some swelling which could be due to fat or a fluid collection ie a seroma.Your incision is also off but rest assured these can all be corrected.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Post-Op Healing From Tummy Tuck

Healing after the  #tummytuck will take time. I have my patients out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake.  I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  No lifting or straining.  At three weeks increased level of activity and full, no restrictions, at 6 weeks.Now that you are at eight weeks it would likely be a good idea to take your concerns directly to your surgeon. I usually inform patients that swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate. So, it may be taking a little time to heal and it would definitely take some time before a revision would be safe. If you are still feeling these issues I would recommend going back to your surgeon soon for another evaluation of the area and how it is healing. Best of luck!

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question and the photos. I agree with your surgeon that this needs to be improved with another procedure.Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD