Skin necrosis or bruising after full tt and lipo? (photos)

I'm day 7 postop from a full tummy tuck with lipo of the flanks. I also have a big blister from the adhesive tape ( seen in 2nd photo). My compression garment has been much too tight and I have had to readjust it. I've noticing pleating and swollen creases at the incision site maybe from the garment? I am worried about the bruising I have seen over the last couple days and don't know if this looks like necrosis or just dark bruising? Also Will the creases go away on their own?

Significant bruising after a tummy tuck might be a sign of the deeper hematoma.

From the photographs the skin looks completely viable. However severe bruising often indicates a deeper hematoma. I would have your surgeon check this.

Recovery Post Tummy Tuck

At one week post op, bruising and swelling will appear the worst. Pleating/puckering of the incision is normal for a time until inflammation resolves and tissues settle. The scar will tighten as it matures. Bruising should resolve over the next week but if you note new, concerning swelling or bruising let your Plastic Surgeon know. Superficial blisters should heal well with conservative wound care.

All the best

Dr. Derby Sang

Thank you for your question and your photo.

although it looks like bruising in your photo, it is very important for you to visit your surgeon and talk this over with him/her.

best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

I agree with the previous comments, and you should contact your plastic surgeon. However from the photos it appears to just be bruising and is mainly around the flanks where the liposuction was performed. It is very common to come out in worse bruises where liposuction is performed, than in areas of excisional surgery (removal of the excess skin and fat). It is too early to comment on the creases, but liposuction will encourage some skin retraction, so the creases are quite likely to settle. A well fitting compression garment is advisable. 

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
London Plastic Surgeon

Necrosis or bruising

Thank you for the question, however you need to be directing these questions to your surgeon,  you are very early post op and should be seen.                        Good Luck

Richard Rosenblum, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Bruising or skin necrosis

It is hard to say from such limited views. It looks like mostly bruising in the photo from what I can see. If you have any concerns, speak to your surgeon.

Skin necrosis or bruising after full tummy tuckand lipo?

Thank you for your question and photographed.  Please do not rule out Internet advice and see your plastic surgeon for an examination. I am sure you're plastic surgeon would want to see you in person and not have you realign Internet advice.

That said, the changes that you, and on appear to be bruising and not skin necrosis.  However you need an examination.

Skin necrosis or bruising after full tt and lipo?

Your photographs are most consistent with bruising, not necrosis. Keep in mind that your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Bruise afte TT

Thank you for your question. It look like a bruise in the pictures. Please follow instructions from your PS and careful with your garment. Bruising will continue to get better in the next few days.