Right side feels tighter than left. Almost 4 weeks post op (Photo).

I am almost 4 weeks post op from my breast augmentation. I am a hairdresser, and returned back to work 3 weeks post op taking client full time again including blow drying. I feel my right side is still a little high and at the end of the day it gets tight. I know its normal for implants to drop at different times. Could it feel like this because i am back to work and it isnt use to the movements? I do massage them as well. Thank you!

Early breast augmentation recovery and activity

What you are describing sounds normal to me.  Early activity involving one arm much more than the other will definitely make a difference in how your breasts feel and how the shape evolves. In the end, both should be soft and symmetric, though.  It will take a few months.  Ask your surgeon about massage and about epsom salt baths for swelling.

Dr. Kavali

Your sterilely in recovery and the higher implant will likely drop over the next 2-3 months.

The fact that she use your right arm during your work could cause muscle spasm and discomfort.  Continue with her exercises and of course follow up with your plastic surgeon.

4 weeks post op

Thank you for your question. It is common for breasts to feel hard/high and sometimes for them to be a bit asymmetric 1 month post op. The amount of activity you are doing with your arms may be a bit too strenuous however. I recommend that you speak with your Plastic Surgeon about your concerns and any recommendations they might have for you.

All the best

Right side tighter post op

You are still early in the post operative healing and settling phase.  It is normal for implants to be high and tight, and settle at slightly different rates in the first 3-6 months.  I recommend close follow up with your surgeon who can advice on straps/ brassieres, and continuing your massage regimen.

Michel C. Samson, MD
Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon

Right side feels tighter than left. Almost 4 weeks post op

Although it is still early to see the final result, if you are concerned about malposition I strongly recommend you see and discuss the situation with your Plastic Surgeon. There are some interventions that can be done at this point that would help improve the implant position like wearing a strap on top of your breast that can help push the implants down evenly, among other interventions.
I hope that was helpful

Ahmad N. Saad, MD
San Diego Physician

1 month post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
Its early to talk about final results.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph. As you are recently out from surgery your breast tissues and chest muscle will have a greater propensity towards swelling with an increase in activity level.  As you have to use your arms at or above shoulder level this will cause your chest muscles to stretch which will have a tendency of flattening your implants and causing them to temporarily ride high.  Given more healing time this will resolve on its own.  Hang in there!

Breast augmentation - right side is tighter than left

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Yes, I think your explanation is likely accurate.
  • Working with your hands all day long will make affect your swelling -
  • Since the implants are under the muscle and right hand is usually used most, e.g. for blow drying, the muscle is more active and that side will be tighter.
  • At your next appointment, discuss your concerns with your surgeon for reassurance and also to consider what to do to encourage the breast to drop into place.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Can return to activity contribute to a difference in appearance of implants?

Thanks for your post.  Congrats on your surgery and best wishes for a smooth recovery.  With regards to your questions, yes you are right to acknowledge that healing can occur at different rates between the two breasts.  This is in fact more the norm than the exception as swelling can be different between sides and since there is undoubtedly preoperative asymmetry which may initially be more apparent during the healing phase.  As far as activity, I think this can certainly cause one side to "feel" different than another (pain, tension, etc.).  Ultimately, however, short of overly strenous activity (such as lifting heaving weights with one side more than the other), it should not have significant impact on the appearance.  Massage may help with that tightness feeling.  As always, be sure to convey your concerns to your chosen surgeon who can ensure you are still on the right track in your recovery.  Good luck!

Right tighter than left?

Thanks for your question. It's normal for one to be a little higher and a little tighter than the other breast. Based on my previous experience with breast implants and hairdressers I'm inclined to say that if you're right handed then your work is probably contributing to the extra tension in your right breast. Massage does help! Best wishes always, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD