When does the pain go away after Breast Augmentation?

When does the pain go away after BA. I was a small b cup and went with 450cc high profile silicone gel yesterday. Just curious how long this pain will last.

Pain or discomfort after a BAM

Everyone's pain or discomfort is different.  Some patients experience pain for few days, and some lasting more than a week.  If you have pain that doesn't gradually subside, you may not be on the proper pain regimen. Additionally, gentle massage and warm compress will also give you some relief. 

Discomfort after breast augmentation

I find that most of my patients experience pain and discomfort for 3-5 days after their procedure. I typically use a long acting anesthetic during surgery that helps with this. I counsel my patients to take their pain medication as directed around the clock to stay ahead of the discomfort for at least 3 days. If you have any concerns you should contact your surgeon's office.
Best wishes,Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Pain Management

Hello,The experience of pain is subjective but typically patients will describe a bruised, sore feeling for 1-2 weeks. Your Plastic Surgeon will be able to prescribe pain medication to manage this and you should let them know if you need to adjust your medication for your comfort.
All the best

I am sorry to hear that you are uncomfortable with the pain after surgery.  Everybody's healing time is different, but it is not uncommon have pain for several days after surgery.  Call your PS so that you can be given pain management advice, and make sure that you are resting sufficiently and not using your arms too much.  Keep your follow-up appointments so that you can be checked to make sure you do not have any complications.  I hope you feel better soon.

Pain after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question!  Pain is usually the worst the first few days following surgery.  Pain medicine during this time will aid in making the pain manageable during this time.  Following that pain is usually relieved with Tylenol and then ibuprofen after the first week.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Pain after breast augmentation

Pain and discomfort following a breast augmentation varies from patient to patient, as there are several factors to consider. First, everyone heals differently and has a different pain tolerance level. Second, it really depends on the technique used by your plastic surgeon. I use a very minimally invasive technique that utilizes cautery dissection. This technique minimizes trauma to the area with little to no bleeding. As a result, the surrounding tissue is not damaged or traumatized and the patient is able to recover quickly. My patients feel significantly better within 24 hours of the procedure and feel all of the pain go away within 3 - 5 days. So depending on the technique your surgeon used and your personal pain tolerance, you should not be experiencing any more pain within 3 - 5 days post surgery. 

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Pain after breast augmentation

Congratulation on your surgery.  In general, patients have significant pain the first 2-3 days after which the pain improves greatly. Most feel discomfort for another week and then don't need more than Tylenol after that for a week. This can vary depending on many factors in a complication free case.   Things that increase the length or amount of pain include:1. The placement of the implant below the muscle2. Tighter pockets (tissues)3. Larger implants4. Lower pain tolerance 
It is important that the pain keeps improving day to day. I advise my patients to take their narcotic pain medication as prescribed for at least the first two days to "stay ahead of it" and then adjust the medication as needed after that. The medication works better if taken before the pain sets in than if you wait. Good luck and congratulations, it won't feel bad for long. 

Julian Gordon, MD

BA post op

Thanks for the question.In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. Kind regards,Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

When does the pain go away after Breast Augmentation

Thank you for sharing your question.  Each person will have a different recovery based on the size of implant placed, amount of stretch on their tissues, and their inherent ability to deal with discomfort.  In most cases patients can wean themselves from prescription pain medication within 3-5 days of surgery and control any pain with muscle relaxants or Tylenol.  Hope this helps.