Skin discoloration & increase in varicose veins after surgery done a couple of years back - Indian 27 y/o. Suggestions? (photos)

I got laser ablation on both legs along with ligation of perforators done as the scan showed bilateral sapient popliteal and femoral incompetence. I also got sclerotherapy done six months ago which has resulted in severe pigmentation of skin and I have been seeing new veins form all over my legs recently. In fact I have been seen veins come up at the thigh junction and my arms.This discolouration and vein formation has hampered my confidence and I'm not sure of what to do!

Skin discoloration

Skin discoloration after vein treatment is an unfortunate side effect that is more likely to occur in patients with darker skin tones. This is most common after sclerotherapy injections.  If the discoloration hasn't faded in several years, then it is not likely to do so now.  Wearing sunscreen can prevent the areas from darkening even further. For new veins that are developing I recommend having another ultrasound to see if there are any remaining truncal  veins that have reflux and require treatment.  Also consider trying another medication such as glycerin for sclerotherapy ( if you haven't used this before). It  may give you a better cosmetic result.

Atlanta Physician

VenoLucent and VenoQuin

Some of the pictures are quite dramatic and I recommend that you use a product like VenaQuin FADE Cream or VenoLucent cream which is available in Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai and Tokyo.

H Karamanoukian MD FACS RVT RPVI RPhS

Post laser vein problems.

From the pictures you have significant staining and new vein formation.  The first thing I would do is to have a venous reflux ultrasound to see the status of the treated veins and to ensure that your great and small saphenous veins are closed.  Deep vein reflux is not a concern at this point. Staining that exists 2 years after the closure procedure may not improve. This is not a perforator problem either. Some say that a Q switch laser may help with the staining. If there are any feeding veins that are open then these may need to be closed.  Staining 2 years post treatment is very difficult to treat.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon