Arm Workouts After Breast Augmentation? 26 Weeks Post Op

I have 325cc left and 375cc silicone unders, thru breast crease. First I wanted to ask if everything looks normal and second I hear that you are not suppose to do upper body weight lifting if you have implants under the muscle. My question is if it is okay to do light weight and more reps for only biceps and triceps, and which exercises I should completely avoid.

Exercise after BAM

I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 3-4 weeks.  I will clear my patients to start exercise as tolerated or resume heavy lifting in 3-4 weeks after their surgery *gradually*   The key word here is gradually.  You should be cleared to resume your activities without restrictions 4 weeks after your procedure.  Many of my patients have your activity level and some are semi-pro athletes or fitness professionals.  All have been able to return to their baseline strength and activity level without difficulty.  Please talk to your PS about his/her specific recommendations.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Arm Restrictions and other Limitations after Breast Augmentation

I agree with most of the other doctors and their answers.

After breast augmentation under the muscle, activity is restricted for 6 weeks. This is mainly to arm and upper body activity. I let my patients get on stationary bicycles after just two weeks as this does not affect the breasts.

After 6 weeks you have unlimited activity including arm and pectoralis exercises.

Late complications do include gradual lateral or downward dropping of the implants. This is rare but can occur. Restricting bench press and other pectoralis exercises may be beneficial but has not been proven. Light weights and higher reps would be a good idea as well as extra supportive bras.

Hope this helps!

Chris Saunders MD

Christopher Saunders, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Full activity permitted four weeks after breast augmentation.

In my practice I allow full activity four weeks after breast augmentation whether the implants are above or below the muscle. You appear to have an excellent result and restrictions on activity will be prescribed by your own surgeon.

Arm exercising after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. You definitely want to follow your own surgeon's post-op activity instructions. This is a general guide I give to my patients as to the recovery
Week 1) Discomfort level progressively decreases with each day. Swelling decreases a great deal after one week. Most people return to work in some capacity. Driving is feasible if you are not on narcotics.
Week 2) Unlikely to need any narcotic support except maybe at night. Swelling continues to improve compared to week 1. You can start breast massage and slowly increasing your range of motion.
Weeks 3-6) May need tylenol or ibuprofen for intermittent discomfort. Swelling completely resolved. You should steadily regain your range of motion. May need additional few months for implants to settle into their final position.

As far as activity, here is a safe guide:
1) No heavy lifting or strenous activity for 6 weeks.
2) Resume walking at a leisurely pace right after surgery (e.g. 2 mph)
3) At 2 weeks, you can walk 2 miles at 2mph
4) At 3 weeks, you can walk 3 miles at 3mph
5) At 4 weeks, you can walk 4 miles at 4mph
6) At 5 weeks, you can jog 5 miles at 5mph
7) At 6 weeks, you can resume all activities, but listen to your body and use discomfort or tightness as a guide so you don't over do it.

So in summary, I would wait a few weeks before closing overhead bins on a frequent/routine basis. I would also avoid the heavy lifting until you are in your 6th week.

Arm Workouts After Breast Augmentation

I tell my patients to avoid strenuous exercise for 3 to 4 weeks after breast augmentation surgery or you may get increased swelling. But consult with your surgeon. Good Luck

Miguel Delgado, MD

Exercise After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your pictures.  Your results looks fine.  You should have no restrictions on your activity this far out from surgery.

Dr. ES

26 weeks after breast augmentation

At 26 weeks after breast augmentation it should be fine to go back to all activities. But check with your surgeon to make sure it is ok with him.

Most arm workouts are fine after augmentation

As others have suggested, after about six weeks, there is little risk of causing a problem with arm exercises.  I have many athletic women in my practice and they all seem to do well with exercise after healing from surgery.  My only caution is with exercises that strenuously use the pectoralis muscle, like bench presses.  I have met two patients over the last 16 years who were able to displace their under the muscle implants as a direct result of weight lifting, specifically bench pressing with heavy weight.  Biceps and triceps exercise seem unlikely to cause a problem and I have not seen it, even in power lifters.  Hope this helps.

Always best to check with your surgeon but after 26 weeks you should have NO restrictions to do anything.//

Exercise After Breast Augmentation

Congratulations: it looks like you've had a nice result from your breast augmentation.  In my practice, I do not restrict upper body exercise beyond 6 weeks post-op, however, I suggest you consult with your surgeon, in this regard.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon