Juvederm Lip Injections While Sick?

Hello, I'm in Cape Town and am nearing the end of my stay. I've been very interested in trying out lip fillers and was recommended a great surgeon here - he said it would be a 10 minute procedure and it's 500$ less to try it out while I'm overseas. However, I've been a little sick with a sinus infection. My timeline is dwindling and I have only a few days to make my appointment; are there significant risks to getting this kind of injection while still recovering from an illness?

Lip filler while sick

As long as your physician appropriately cleans off the skin prior to injecting, and you are not significantly ill, this should not be a problem.

Columbus Physician

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

Do not inject this area if you are sick.  Also do not pick someone based on price, do it for expertise and experience, this area requires skill.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip injections while sick

It is never a good idea to get elective procedures when sick. It is remotely possible that the injection becomes infected from the sinuses. I wouldn't inject anyone with a known infection. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Juvederm While Sick

Thanks for your question!  This is actually a great question and depending on the physician, you will get varying answers.  I would call and discuss this with the surgeon that you are hoping to see.  In a perfect world, you would be feeling great for your lip injections.  However, given your circumstances, he/she may still perform the procedure.  Best of luck!

Receiving Juvederm While Sick

Thank you for your question.  I do not recommend that my patients undergo Juvederm treatment during a period of active sinus infection.  Please be sure to see a doctor for treatment of your sinus infection if you haven't already.  Are you taking antibiotics?  When you are ready, please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations for your lips in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved by using Juvederm for lip augmentation.  Lastly, please keep in mind that swelling and bruising is normal after Juvederm injections, especially in the lips, and it will take 2 weeks to see your final result.  Hope this helps and safe travels!

Juvederm while ill

Thank you for your question marie278. Juvederm is a filler that can enhance the face. There are no studies testing the safety and efficacy of Juvederm on patients who are ill. So unfortunately we do not know the answer to your question. For my patients I postpone all cosmetic treatments until they are completely healthy. Some doctors will proceed. Please consult specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician