How to Deal With Mild Overcrowding of Teeth? (photo)

Hello Docs Thank you ahead of time for replying. I've never worn braces and have found in the past 3-4 years, that all of a sudden my teeth are beginning to crowd! Although I know the "invisible aligners" are removable for eating and brushing, are they really the best option when dealing with what I consider mild crowding? Please excuse the photos...could they be ANY less flattering??? =D

Doctor Answers 6

How to Deal With Mild Overcrowding of Teeth?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Invisalign (clear braces) will probably be a great option for you! I will recommend going for an orthontic consultation, most of the time they are complimentary. Also keep in consideration that if you have your wisdom teeth present it could be the reason of the pressure causing teeth to shift. Ask if they are present and for a good surgeon referral to have them extracted. With Invisalign, the aligner trays are not only smooth and comfortable to wear, but they're also removable. That means you can continue doing all the things you normally would, from brushing and flossing, to eating whatever you like. You may be surprised to know that the benefits of having properly aligned teeth extend far beyond a confident smile. According to the American Dental Association, straightening your teeth can actually significantly affect your overall dental health.1 Think about it—a smile can hardly be perfect if it's not a healthy one. Fortunately, with Invisalign®, having a confident smile and reducing your risk for tooth decay and gum disease go hand in hand.

Fairfax Dentist

Dealing With Mild Overcrowding of Teeth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You might benefit from Invisalign's newest product, Invisalign 5. If your case can be done in 5 aligners or less (10 weeks or less), then you will qualify for the lowest proce possible, especially if you begin in March. 

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Dentist

Mild overcorwding

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Once the orthodontist examines you they would look not only on how straight your teeth are but also at how well your bite comes together. They can advise you if Invisalign or the braces would be the better option. Based on the initial pictures it appears as either one can be an option.

Tanya Vaysman, DMD
New York Orthodontist

Best treatment for mild crowding

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on your photos, your upper front teeth seem fairly straight, so in order to straighten your lower front teeth, invisalign Express should work well.  Whether you qualify for the Express 5 vs. Express 10 will need to be determined by the treating dentist.

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Dentist

INVISALIGN for Mild Overcrowding

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

INVISALIGN is a very good option for mild overcrowded teeth.  It might be a bit more expensive than a retainer but it should get the job done.  Judging from the photos you have provided, your lower teeth will need some interproximal stripping in to order to create space between your teeth and eventually bring them into alignment.  Your upper teeth might not need any of this as there is less crowding. Good luck and keep us informed.  Please show your final photographs when the work is completed.

Nick M. Mobilia, DDS
New York Dentist


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You are a prime candidate for invisalign treatment OR a new process that is revolutioning orthodontic treatment called "SIX MONTH SMILE". Your mild overcrowding is very easy to treat using either procedure. Ask your dentist if he is trained in either procedure.  If he is not, don't be afraid to go out of your local area to find a dentist that is trained in either or both processes.  


P. S. The pictures are not that bad either.

Jean D. Morency, DMD
Houston Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.