Radiesse on hands not lasting more than a few weeks.

I am almost 75 and earlier this year had radiesse on the back of my hands and the effect was very good but sadly it only lasted about 7 weeks. I had another session but again this didn't last. Can you recommend a filler that will last longer please?

Radiesse typically lasts up to a year. There is a possibility that you may require more product. I would recommend that you return to your injector and discuss this.

Hand Rejuvenation with Radiesse

Radiesse is a great filler for the hands and can last up to 1 year. Maybe a small amount of Radiesse was used which is why it did not last very long. I recommend seeing an expert injector for best results. 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Radiesse in hands

Radiesse is a wonderful product and produces great results.  It is a synthetic substance made of calcium hydroxyapatite (which is found in bones) when this substance is injected it naturally builds collagen in the area over time. If you are unhappy with the results you may need to have your doctor take a look at your hands for a recommendation on what to do. Wishing you the best. 

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse in the hands generally lasts about a year

The problem is probably not the camouflage.  In studies, most patients required a full syringe or more of Radiesse to improve their hands.  The studies done for the FDA trials used Radiesse mixed with just a small amount of liquid anesthetic.  In 'real life', it is standard to use far more liquid anesthetic to mix the radiesse for hand injection.  In softer form the radiesse is more easily molded so you are less likely to get lumps or bumps which could be visible in that thin skinned area.  So the result you see when you leave the office will go down as the liquid is absorbed.  Another real life consideration is trying to reduce the amount of swelling and discomfort after hand injection.  The hands spend most of our day hanging at our sides or busy in action - neither is good for swelling.  So for my patients and when I teach other physicians how to use Radiesse for the hands, I recommend using only half a syringe in each hand at a treatment session with the expectation that the patient will return in 2 - 4 weeks for another syringe split between the hands.  If a patient has very thin hands, several sessions may be necessary to provide adequate filling.  Radiesse has its effect first by directly filling the empty area then as it dissolves by stimulating new collagen.  That secondary effect will be strongest in someone with healthier, less sun damaged skin so that is another variable to consider.

You can use other fillers like Voluma or your own fat to fill the hands.  The downside is that clear gel hyaluronic acid fillers like voluma - which I love using in the face - may give the skin a blue-ish hue when visible under very thin skin like that of the tops of the hands.  Radiesse is opaque white so the blue tone is avoided and it acts to camouflage vessels.  Fat is another good choice but requires a second procedure to harvest from elsewhere on your body.

My recommendation is that you return to your physician and discuss your concerns.  At that time you can also review your pre-treatment photos.  I find that patients often forget how volume depleted (empty) the area looked before the first treatment.  So it may not be that your treatment isn't lasting, just that you haven't yet had enough to reach optimal.

I hope this answer was helpful. Best wishes.

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD

Radiesse Hand Rejuvenation

Hello and thank you for your question. It is not common for Radiesse to breakdown this quickly. Possibly not enough product was used. Typically for hand rejuvenation we use 1 syringe for each hand. However, you may need additional syringes for the best, long lasting results. You do experience swelling after your Radiesse injections, many patients return once the swelling decreases. 

Best to you, Dr Faraz

Patricia Faraz, MD
Ladera Ranch OB/GYN

Radiesse longevity in hands

Radiesse should last about one year in hands.   Not sure why you have had this problem. Suggest you talk to your doctor and see if you can find explanation.  My Best,  Dr Commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse to hands

Hello and thanks for your question!

Perhaps not enough filler was used? I routinely use 1.5cc (1 syringe) per hand at least to get good long lasting results. The results usually last upwards of a year. 

Hope this helps and God Bless!

Dr. Robb

Philip K. Robb Jr., MD
Evans Otolaryngologist

Hi, We've been using Radiesse to rejuvenate the back of the hands for a number of years and the results last up to a year.  Perhaps a small amount of Radiesse was used which created less of a result.

Hope this helps.

Fat grafting of hands.

This is something I have done for more than 35 years--when people said it did not last. I put fat in only 1 hand and waited 2 years and then took a photo to show it does last forever but will age. See an experienced surgeon who can show you at least 1 year results.This does not have to be repeated every year or so as do fillers.

Radiesse for hands

Radiesse is the best filler for the hands, but you need to be sure you are getting the best injector available and that enough is being injected. it makes no difference if a cannula or a needle is used.  Be sure you are seeing a  board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist