Ideally, is it breast reduction surgery better before or after menopause?

I am 46 years old, and have read that your breast can really change post menopause. Since I am relatively close to menopause, would it be better to wait?

TIming

There is no better or worse time to perform this type of surgery.   I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Surgery and Menopause

Thank you for your question!  Timing for breast reduction surgery is really up to the patient, before or after menopause.  Timing is really not an issue, but certainly, surgical outcomes will be optimized by an ideal BMI (body mass index).  A board certified plastic surgeon should be consulted during the planning phase, so that if there is a weight loss issue, this can be addressed with help.  Best wishes to you!

Christina Y. Ahn, MD

Timing for Breast Reduction

Dear Vicky557, 
Patients decide the timing for their breast reductions for a variety of reasons, some prefer to wait until they have reached a goal weight, sometimes the patient's schedule determines the timing. There is no set answer as to whether doing it before menopause or waiting until after is better, it all depends on your situation. Hope this helps!

Breast reduction

if it bothers you enough you could certainly do it now. Yes, a fair number of women will put on considerable amount of weight in their breast with menopause. Can easily be handled with the scarless, liposuction only method if that does happen later in life. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and timing

I perform breast reduction surgery on patients at different times in their lifetime.  It is really up to their patient.

Don't wait

I would recommend doing the surgery now.  The younger the better.  You will heal faster when you are younger. Look for a board certified surgeon

Andrew T. Cohen, MD