What's the safer route for me, the new Ideal Implant or the "Gummy Bear" implants?

I am hearing great feedback with both of these implants. I have yet to hear downsides to either. I realize both are freely new. I just want the healthiest alternative that still gives a natural look at feel.

Breast Implants

Thank you for your question. It's difficult to give exact recommendations without photos or a consultation as each person's anatomy is different and implants should be chosen based on what is best for that particular candidate. Generally speaking, Ideal Implants are filled with saline, so if there is a rupture, the saline will safely absorb into the body and the patient will know there has been a rupture. Gummy bear implants are made of silicone and usually feel more natural than traditional saline implants. You need to have an MRI every three years to make sure that there is not a rupture as you will not be able to tell. Both are very safe and have a very low chance of rupture. The nice thing about Ideal Implants is that they feel more like silicone implants than traditional saline implants so many patients opt for this option. Regardless, make sure you're working with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine which choice will meet your specific needs and goals. 

Ideal or Gummy Bear?

Both are safe. The Gummy Bear implants are technically the Sientra implants and have been around for probably 10 years. They are cohesive silicone gel and feel very natural. The Ideal Implants are newer, are FDA approved and were released for use about one year ago (after a 5 year study period). They are structured saline implants and give a feel very similar to gel but without the gel to have to deal with. 

Ideal Implant

Dear Packer23,

Both options are good ones. The Ideal implant is an excellent choice as it combines virtually all of the softness and natural feel of silicone with a saline-filled implant made with internal chambers and baffles that control the flow of saline. They do not show rippling like the old single-lumen saline implants, and they have a lower contracture rate and rupture rate than the silicone implants. In addition, the patient always has the peace of mind of confirming her implants are intact simply by looking in the mirror whereas a silent rupture of a silicone implant requires an MRI to detect.

I hope this has been helpful to you. You can check the Ideal implant website to learn more.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD