Is It Possible to Alter Eye Shape by Making Them Appear Smaller?

I have big doe-eyes which look fine on women and children, but not as a guy. I was wondering if there is any way to raise the lower eyelids so that they cover more of the eyes and make they look smaller. I've noticed most guys or at least most guys that look masculine have eyes that are shaped similarily to the top half of semi-circle. I'm getting really tired of always having to squint my eyes in order to look good.

Doctor Answers 6

Eyelid Surgery

Changing eye shape is a surgery that can contain many risks and unpredictable outcomes.  If you want to experiment with a non-surgical change in eye shape, you can get botox/dysport over your eyes, and get an eyelid droop intentionally and see how you like this.  Less of your eye will be covered, and you may like this.  If you don’t like it, you will only have to live with it about 3-4 months.  Unlike surgery, this is temporary.  I would venture to say you look good with eyes squinted or not.  Don’t allow your perception to be defined only by your eyes.

Danville Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Yes it is possible. However this does not make it the right thing to do.

Answering this question in a meaninful way cannot really be done without a personal consultation.  I have developed a vertical midface lift over a hand craved ePTFE orbital rim implant that can be used as the basis for augmenting the orbital rim and lengthening the lower eyelids.  There are many circumstances where this maneuver makes a profound difference for the individual.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Should have eye exam

 You should consider having an examination with an opthalmologist to determine the exact nature of the large eye issue.  is it from a malpositioned lower eyelid or Proptosis (bulging eye).  Proptosis should have a medical workup to rule out medical causes. 

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Raising the lower lids

The options range from lower lid tightening, filler injection in the lower lids to hard palate mucosal graft. Talk to an ophthalmic plastic surgeon.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Relative Lower eyelid Retraction

You describe congenital relative lower eyelid retraction.  That can be caused by "retracted" lower lids, poor cheek bone (maxilla), and/or relative buldgy eyes (proptosis).  There are various options to surgically and nonsurgically correct these depending on the exact problem.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Eyelid surgery to make eyes appear smaller

Yes, it is possible to change the shape of the eyelid opening and make the eye appear smaller.  This can be achieved by performing a surgical procedure called a lateral canthoplasty.  In this procedure the lateral corner of the eyelid opening is tailored and repositioned to make the eyelid opening shorter and helps elevate the lower eyelid which makes the vertical height of the opening smaller as well.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.