I Am Allergic to Codeine. Any Suggestions for Pain Control After Mommy Makeover?

Non-Narcotic Medication following Mommy Makeover

Most of my patients do fine with non-narcotic medications and Exparel and / or a pain pump. The surgical technique used, anesthesia administered, and intra-operative pain control all will make a significant difference in your comfort during recovery from a mommy makeover. It is also my preference that mommy makeover patients stay overnight with roind the clock medical care the night of surgery. Not every surgeon feels this way, but I beleive patients and their families feel more comfortable and have more peace of mind in tis scenario.  If you are very concerned about discomfort, you could have your mommy makeover performed in stages rather than all at once. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon, and speak to other patients about their experience to determine what makes most sense for you.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Allergy to Codeine and Plastic Surgery

A history of a bad reaction to codeine is not uncommon.  Usually these patients will do fine with a synthetic such as hydrocodone or oxycodone.  With the use of local anesthetics, most patients require much less narcotic.  Just explain your reactions very carefully with your plastic surgeon.

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Ultram & Double Strength Tylenol are Great Options

Pain control is extremely important following cosmetic surgery. Patients frequently report allergies to various pain medications and as a result, pain management may require adjustment in the postoperative period.
Most patients who say they are allergic to codeine don’t have a true allergy. They usually have severe nausea, which codeine is notorious for causing.
We typically use a synthetic codeine derivative called Hydrocodone, which has a decreased incidence of nausea compared to codeine.
Examples of prescription Hydrocodone commonly used include Vicodan and Lortab. When these don’t work or patients are allergic to them as well, we use Ultram. We replace narcotic pain relievers with double strength Tylenol as soon as possible following surgery to avoid the potential for drug problems.
Pain tolerance varies from patient to patient and with appropriate care can usually be managed without difficulty. When allergies to pain medications occur, multiple alternatives exist to deal with this problem.

Allergic to Codeine Pain Medications

The allergy to codeine in pain medicines is so common that I rarely use these pain medications in my practice.  Artificial codeine, hydrocodone, is more commonly prescribed and used in products like Vicodin and Lortab and these medications are surprisingly effective on many individuals who cannot tolerate codeine but can tolerate hydrocodone.

Even when I have prescribed the hydrocodone medications, I encourage my patients to as quickly as possible to convert to anti-inflammatory medications like Advil, Nuprin and Motrin which are Ibuprofen products and Alleve which is a different anti-inflammatory product.  These medications actually effect the pain problem itself instead of hiding the symptoms in one's brain and have less side effects.

Never forget the use of ice and cold packs to reduce the amount of pain on almost all areas of the body following surgery.

John K. Long, MD

There are many alternatives to codeine.

Codeine is not so effective for pain relief after mommy makeover. I usually use Percocet but there are other alternatives as well for people that are sensitive to a particular type of pain medication. Long-acting local anesthetic after the procedure will also reduce the immediate need for narcotics. I usually also prescribed Valium works well as a muscle relaxant since much of the discomfort is related to spasm in the muscles that we tighten in the tummy tuck part of the procedure. I am quite sure that your sensitivity to codeine will not be a problem.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Pain Control after Mommy Makeover

Omaha1470.     You are not alone!  There are numerous options for controlling pain after this surgery other than codeine. I usually use a long acting anesthetic injected at the end of the surgery, which usually decreases the need for narcotics.  Other options for pain include hydrocodone and extra strength Tylenol.  I usually tailor the pain control regimen to each patient's needs. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

No Codeine Needed!

Hi Omaha1470, I don't  believe many surgeons use codeine after surgery. Most patients aren't truly allergic, it just causes server stomach upset, but regardless it isn't used because there are much better options available. Speak to your surgeon before hand and they will prescribe any range of options. You can also speak to them about using a pain pump or a better option, Exparel, that will provide localized numbing for a few days after your surgery to keep you comfortable. You should be fine!

William Aiello, MD

Post Surgical Medication

A codeine allergy is very common and because of this we very rarely prescribe codeine.  The artificial version of codeine is hydrocodone (Norco) or oxycodone (Oxycontin).  These medications are tolerated quite well by our patients who have a codeine allergy.  We also have non-narcotic medications that we can offer like extra strength Tylenol.  Our goal at the Whole Beauty Institute is to transition patients as quickly as possible after surgery to non-narcotic medication.  

John Q. Cook, MD

Allergy to Codeine

Thanks for your question. There are several alternatives to Codeine based mediations to control pain after surgery. I will often prescribe Tramadol. I also use a On-Q pain relief system to help with relief immediately in the abdominal area. Many patients find they only need over the counter pain relief after that. Your Doctor can work with you to keep your pain under control.

Best wishes!  

Codeine allergy

More than half of my patients take very few narcotic pain medications with the use of Exparel (a long acting injection of local anesthetic) and a combination of muscle relaxants and non-narcotic medications. Interestingly there is a large amount of studies to show that those patients who take fewer narcotics have fewer issues related to nausea, vomiting and constipation, and thus experience a better recovery than those who take more of them. So while most surgeons will still give narcotics (to those who are not allergic), we try to encourage everything else for pain control.

Manish Raj Gupta, MD
Toledo Plastic Surgeon