I Am Allergic to Codeine. Any Suggestions for Pain Control After Mommy Makeover?

Mommy makeover with Exparel and Nucynta

I have been using Exparel for mommy makeovers for more than 5 years. In my opinion, it has been a "game changer" as far as pain relief after a tummy tuck. Patients are out of bed easily the next day and sometimes the same day as the surgery.  It makes the first 3 days much easier and patients need for less pain medication. I prefer Nucynta (tapentadol) for these procedures and have for quite some time. I have found, in my experience, that it works very well for post-surgical pain, it is great for patients that are allergic to codeine or hydrocodone (Norco/Vicodin), and it has far less constipation than any of the other pain medications. Good luck!

Mommy makeover with Exparel and Nucynta

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Non-Narcotic Medication following Mommy Makeover

Most of my patients do fine with non-narcotic medications and Exparel and / or a pain pump. The surgical technique used, anesthesia administered, and intra-operative pain control all will make a significant difference in your comfort during recovery from a mommy makeover. It is also my preference that mommy makeover patients stay overnight with roind the clock medical care the night of surgery. Not every surgeon feels this way, but I beleive patients and their families feel more comfortable and have more peace of mind in tis scenario.  If you are very concerned about discomfort, you could have your mommy makeover performed in stages rather than all at once. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon, and speak to other patients about their experience to determine what makes most sense for you.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Allergy to Codeine and Plastic Surgery

A history of a bad reaction to codeine is not uncommon.  Usually these patients will do fine with a synthetic such as hydrocodone or oxycodone.  With the use of local anesthetics, most patients require much less narcotic.  Just explain your reactions very carefully with your plastic surgeon.

Allergy to Codeine and Plastic Surgery

Ultram & Double Strength Tylenol are Great Options

Pain control is extremely important following cosmetic surgery. Patients frequently report allergies to various pain medications and as a result, pain management may require adjustment in the postoperative period.
Most patients who say they are allergic to codeine don’t have a true allergy. They usually have severe nausea, which codeine is notorious for causing.
We typically use a synthetic codeine derivative called Hydrocodone, which has a decreased incidence of nausea compared to codeine.
Examples of prescription Hydrocodone commonly used include Vicodan and Lortab. When these don’t work or patients are allergic to them as well, we use Ultram. We replace narcotic pain relievers with double strength Tylenol as soon as possible following surgery to avoid the potential for drug problems.
Pain tolerance varies from patient to patient and with appropriate care can usually be managed without difficulty. When allergies to pain medications occur, multiple alternatives exist to deal with this problem.

Allergic to Codeine Pain Medications

The allergy to codeine in pain medicines is so common that I rarely use these pain medications in my practice.  Artificial codeine, hydrocodone, is more commonly prescribed and used in products like Vicodin and Lortab and these medications are surprisingly effective on many individuals who cannot tolerate codeine but can tolerate hydrocodone.

Even when I have prescribed the hydrocodone medications, I encourage my patients to as quickly as possible to convert to anti-inflammatory medications like Advil, Nuprin and Motrin which are Ibuprofen products and Alleve which is a different anti-inflammatory product.  These medications actually effect the pain problem itself instead of hiding the symptoms in one's brain and have less side effects.

Never forget the use of ice and cold packs to reduce the amount of pain on almost all areas of the body following surgery.

John K. Long, MD

Allergic to Codeine Pain Medications

John K. Long, MD

Pain control without Codeine

A multimodal approach to pain control is the best option for your surgery. Use of long acting local anesthesia such as Exparel is key to preventing early post-surgical pain. Once this numbing medication wears off start extra strength tylenol, ibuprofen, and ultram. 

Pain control without Codeine

Pain control after mommy makeover

Thanks for the great question! There is a long acting local anesthetic called Exparel which is able to provide most patients with pretty good pain relief for 48-72 hours after the procedure. Once the Exparel wears off some patents have some discomfort which should be controlled about with Ibuprofen or tylenol. There are also other non-narcotic pain pills which your doctor is able to use. I hope this helps!

~Dr. Sieber

Pain control after mommy makeover

~Dr. Sieber

Pain meds post surgery

Great question! Typically we give Norco or Percocet to manage pain afterwards. Hope this helps! Best of luck!

Pain meds post surgery

Post op pain control

I highly recommend Exparel for pain management.  Also, pre and post op dosing of gabapentin and celebrex helps reduce the need for any narcotics.

Post op pain control

Noncodiene pain control after Mommy Makeover

Definitely, there are options for pain control after Mommy Makeovers that do not include codiene. The use of long acting local anesthetic at the end of the procedure either by pain pump or and injection while still under anesthesia has revolutionized the recovery period especially the first 3 days. Most patients are able to get up and move around far better than without it. Hope all goes well.