Could I achieve hourglass shape if I have a short waist? (photos)

I had a tummy tuck about 9 years ago then I ended up with a hernia where Dr had to fix it other than my plastic surgeon I never really got a hourglass shape I've been reading online that if you have a short waist or your ribs and your pelvic bone or real short you can never achieve an hourglass shape I would like to know if that is true and if you could do anything for me I've sent a photo along with this just to see

Can I Get an Hour Glass Shape?

Thank you for your question and photo.  There are a number of factors that affect if you have or can get an hour glass figure.  Some people have a genetic pre-disposition to accumulate fat around the abdomen rather than the hips...the familiar pear versus apple shape scenario.  Unfortunately, you have an apple shape.  Changes in hormones around menopause can also cause fat accumulation more centrally around the abdomen and shortening of the spine moving you further away from an hour glass figure. An accumulation of fat inside the abdomen around the organs or under the skin around the waist can also move you away from a small waist.  The shape of your, rib cage, hip bones and your pelvic bone also affect the waist to hip ratio.  An hour glass figure means you have a waist to hip ration of about 0.7 in your situation you are closer to 0.9.  A tummy tuck by itself will not improve your waist to hip ratio to bring it from 0.9 to 0.7 because it only flattens your tummy and can in some cases make the intra-abdominal fat go outwards causing a wider waist.  Only liposuction of the fat under the skin of the flanks, abdomen and back with fat transfer to the hips and buttock can help.  How much improvement you get from 0.9 to 0.7 does depend on how big your rib cage/hip bones/pelvis are, how much intra-abdominal fat you have,  and how much fat you have under the skin around your waist, in your buttock and hip area.  Some of these issues like the intra-abdominal fat and bony shape work against you and cannot be completely changed with body contouring surgery.  Thank you for your question and I hope this information helps.  All the best!

Could I achieve an hourglass shape.

The short waist can be limiting, however liposuction is the procedure to look into to slim the waist and flank. A board certified surgeon in your area might help you decide.

Abdominoplasty and liposuction

It is difficult to comment based on your photos.  You will benefit the most by getting into as best shape as possible with a healthy diet and exercise regimen. it appears that you have flank fat that is out of proportion to the rest of your body and you may definitely benefit from liposuction. This will help you achieve a Better waistline. The best recommendation would be after a consultation and physical exam which you are welcome to schedule. 

Could I achieve hourglass shape if I have a short waist?

Liposuction of the abdomen, sides, and back to reduce the waist to the extent possible along with fat grafting to the hips can give the illusion of an hourglass figure.

Beverly Hills, CA

Hourglass waist

Your muscle layers and bony margins determine the shape of your waist and unfortunately you do have a more masculine contour. You are otherwise trim which is an attractive characteristic in itself. To give yourself an hourglass figure, I would focus on obtaining enlargement and projection of your buttocks.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

Tummy tuck hourglass shape post op

It is difficult to get an hourglass shape if you have wide hips and  low ribs. There isn't much room to work with, but in looking at the photos you have sent, I think liposuction could help as well as possibly tightening the abdominal muscles. This may have been doen at the time of surgery but it looks like after the hernia repair, it may need to be done again if possible.

W. John Bull, MD

Thank you for your questions and for sharing your photographs.  It is difficult for short-waisted women to obtain an hourglass appearance, as their ribs and hip serve as bony limits.  If there is not much distance between the two, the soft tissues are unable to obtain an inward curvature.  You may be able to benefit from some liposuction, but any treatment recommendations would really depend on an in-person examination to assess your skin quality and ability to further enhance your appearance.  

Hourglass shape following abdominoplasty with liposuction

Postoperative results are often limited by your preoperative anatomy.  To achieve an hourglass figure from abdominoplasty with liposuction, you need to accentuate your hips and narrow your waist.  People with wide hipbones, long torso (where the muscles can be plicated and narrowed), and ribs no wider than your hip bones can achieve an hour glass shape postoperatively.  I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon in person to discuss your options and realistic expectations of what can be achieved with surgery.  Good luck!

Andrew Freel, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Hourglass shape.

Your information is correct. The shape is an interplay of multiple factors such as rib shape, abdominal muscles and hip bones. Having a short waist is certainly a limiting factor in obtaining that look. 

M. Azhar Ali, MD, FACS
Bloomfield Hills Plastic Surgeon