Is it ok to stop wearing elastics till I see orthodontist?

The office manager on Friday said it was ok to stop wearing the elastics or just wear them at night till I see the doctor on Monday. I am going crazy with TMJ pain now from the jaw slipping over to opposite side as these elastics attempt to fix crossbite. Is it common to overcorrect and have it settle back down? I'm concerned I'll have to wear lingual to buccal on the opposite side now to fix this...

Visit Orthodontist

I would say stop wearing any elastics until you visit orthodontist because he or she will be the concerned person to guide you.  

San Diego Dentist