Severe uneven breasts. What is the best option ? (photos)

My left breast is severely larger than my right. I've been wearing a prosthesis made for cancer patients. I've been to one consultation with a doctor who wanted to put an implant in only one breast. My concern is eventually they won't look the same. What would be the best route to take ? I have realistic expectations and I know they will never look exactly the same. Also I've known about this since I was 13. Will insurance most likely cover a reconstruction surgery ? Thankyou in advance for your feedback.

Breast asymmetry - don't use asymmetric implants

I fully and totally agree with you in every way that lopsided or one sided implants not only look different initially, but they look more and more different after time passes. The"faker" breast stays higher and the "real" breast will sag, only increasing the difference.
As for you, you have breast asymmetry with tuberous breast deformity. Big areola, short distance from nipple to inframammary crease, etc etc. First, I would choose the size that works for you, most likely between the size of the smaller breast and the larger breast. Then, I would reduce the larger breast and lift it (lollipop scar). I would fat graft the smaller breast and do a small lift/evening-up procedure on it as well.

Now I'm going to talk crazy, but hear me out. The key to a great outcome on this surgery for me is actually to reduce the larger breast down to the smaller one's size and the graft them both up to the desired size. That way I get the best control over the shape and the prettiest result. I'm not sure every surgeon would do that, and in fact probably almost no one would, but that is my preference. Make sure to go to someone strong in grafting and recon and they should be able to handle it!

Asymmetric breasts

Often implants can help improve the VOLUME of a breast and they do also affect the shape of the breast, soon after surgery and even down the road. Often a mastopexy is used to change the SHAPE of a breast. Sometimes these procedures can be done at the same time and sometimes they are staged, meaning they are done at two different times. Choosing a size is all about a healthy conversation between you and your plastic surgeon, sara.coleman. Anatomy and the size of your breast "footprint" or dimensions of your chest can help pick an implant. You are still in the early recovery period so swelling is not uncommon. Having a natural look is about how you define natural and what you are happy with. Good luck! MMT

One Implant Will Never Look the Same

Your breasts are not just different in size, they are different in skin surface area. Although an implant can expand skin, your breasts would never look alike early or late after such a surgery; one would be substantially overfilled by an implant and look firm and projecting while your larger would look the same as it does now. Additionally, neither would have the other issue addressed: nipple position.

You will need a surgery that lifts the nipples up on both breasts, and substantially reduces the skin and breast tissue of the larger breast. This is a mastopexy reduction for both shape improvement and symmetry, and the goal is equalizing skin surface area and breast tissue volume, and improving shape and nipple position. This is a complex surgery, and not all qualified surgeons do it well. You should only see ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that really specialize in breast surgery. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Severe uneven breasts. What is the best option ?

Thank you for your question and photo.  A combination of breast reduction on the left or larger side and a breast lift with implant on the smaller side should help to achieve better symmetry and improve overall breast appearance.  Please choose an expert board certified plastic surgeon.

Assymetry

Thank you for the photos and clearly the appearance of both breasts can be radically improved with a lift/reduction on the left and a lift with or without an augmentation on the right depending on how small if at all the left is made.  The key is to find a surgeon with expertise in this area of breast reconstruction.  So go on several consults

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Breast asymmetry

The goal of symmetry can be achieved in several manners. It appears the best way to achieve symmetry is by a left breast reduction, and right breast lift (if you are happy with the volume of the right breast). The breasts will never be the same, as nature intended, but the aforementioned surgery will definitely lead you to looking more balanced. The reduction can also be covered by insurance, if documented correctly. I recommend seeking a board certified plastic surgeon for this type of surgery.

Regards,

Manish C. Champaneria, MD

Looks like your best option would be to undergo a reduction of the larger size and a lift of the smaller breast to help even out the two breasts. You can always undergo an augmentation later if you want greater volume. Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who takes the time to properly examine and measure you in person and gives you the best surgical options for you. Good luck!

Significant breast asymmetry can be difficult to correct, and there may be more than one option available. If your were happy with the size (but not the shape) of your smaller right breast, then the simplest and most predictable and least expensive correction is a right breast lift (without reduction) to reshape the breast and elevate the nipple, and a left breast reduction and lift to match it. Putting an implant in one side only is never a great solution...the augmented breast with the implant will always look different than the non-augmented side. If you want to be larger than your smaller right breast, then my recommendation is to make your breasts more symmetrical in a first stage by lifting the right breast and reducing and lifting the left breast, as suggested above, and then in a second stage a few months later augment the breasts with implants. You have a much better chance of obtaining a better match with fewer risks of complications if you can obtain better symmetry first and make your breasts a better candidate for implant augmentation, and after healing augment the breasts if desired.

Breast asymmetry

You have breast asymmetry in this can be improved using breast reduction/lift techinques.  Depending on what you were trying to achieve, it is possible that you may require an implant to achieve more symmetry. Is very difficult to comment completely on your particular case without seeing you and. examining you. Best of luck. 

Can be much better

While they can never be the same! You can expect to be tremendously netter then you are now. Insurance may pay if they cover breast reductions. I would think you will be much happier! Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon