How Soon After a Tummy Tuck Can I Pick Up my Baby?

I have a 10 month old baby, who weighs around 22 pounds. I've had several people tell me to wait until she is walking on her own to have the procedure. Any thoughts?

Tummy tuck and lifting

I usually tell patients to avoid heavy lifting for about six weeks.  Liftng a baby out of a crib can be harmful if done too soon.

Tummy tuck and weight lifting

That isn't bad advice.It depends on how fast you want to have it done.I usually have my patients not do heavy lifting for 4 weeks or so.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Restrictions after abdominoplasty

Abdominoplasty is like any other major abdominal surgery.  I tell my patients not to lift more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks.  We don't realize how much we use our abdominal muscles on a day to day basis.  Getting in and out of a chair or bed, stepping on the brakes while driving can strain your abdominal muscles and the repair to tighten them.  The last thing you want is to rupture that repair and tightening.  Lifting also stresses those same muscles.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Lifting restrictions after tummy tuck

This recommendation will vary among practitioners but in general lifting restrictions for 10-20 pounds are usually advised for a minimum of 2-3 weeks.