Sex After a Tummy Tuck How Long Should I Wait?

How long should a woman wait to have sex after a tummy tuck and can an orgasm hurt your belly?

Tummy Tuck and Resumption of Sexual Activity

Sex after a tummy tuck is based on comfort. There is little harm you can do as long as it does not induce pain or stress on your incision lines. For most patients, it is going to be weeks after surgery before comfort with that activity is reached. An orgasm is not going to harm the muscle repair and the incision line in any way.

Sex after Tummy Tuck

Becoming intimate after abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is highly variable and depends on each individual. It depends on how active you are and how long it takes your pain to comfortably subside. You should not do any abdominal exercises for 10 weeks but sex is generally acceptable after at least 3-4 weeks as long as you are gentle. Having sex before 3-4 weeks can put you more at risk for complications so it is best to be careful.  Be sure to follow up with your plastic surgeon to see what their specific recommendations are as well.

Michael L. Workman, MD

Sex after tummy tuck

I tell my patients that they can have sex whenever they want after a tummy tuck.  But, they obviously must use some caution in the first month or so.  Also very vigorous or athletic positions should wait until the patient can better tolerate it.

P.s. Remember to use protection since the stress of surgery can change your menstrual cycle dramatically.

Good luck and thak you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Yo les digo a mis pacientes que pueden tener sexo cuando quieran despues de la cirugia. Pero obviamente con cuidado en los primeros meses. Ademas posiciones “atleticas” deven de esperar hasta que el paciente las pueda tolerar.
Nota: Acuerdese de protejerse ya que el stress de la cirugia le puede cambiar drasticamente su ciclo menstrual.

Suerte y gracias por su pregunta.

Atentamente,

Anire Okpaku MD

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS

Intercourse after TummyTuck

Thank you fr your question. It is important to realize that the amount of time it takes for recovery varies greatly among individuals. Depending on the extent of your abdominoplasty and your general physical condition. Any sexual activity should be avoided for a minimum of two weeks. Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrookChicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Sex After Tummy Tuck

Any type of strenuous activity including sexual intercourse should be avoided for at least one month following abdominoplasty.Strenuous activity can elevate blood pressure and pulse rates and lead to hemo-dynamic changes.These changes can result in post-operative complications such as bleeding and seroma formation.In addition, physical exertion can cause stretching and pulling of the soft tissue which can traumatize fresh surgical wounds that are still healing.Under these circumstances, the incidence of wound healing complications would be expected to increase.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Sex after Surgery

This largely depends on how extensive your procedure was. Always best to check with your plastic surgeon for the best advice. I generally allow most of my tt patients to have sex after six weeks with the woman in the top position so she is in control to make it less likely for an injury to occur.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to specific information/advice. He/she knows exactly what was done and how you are progressing. Concerns would include an increase in heart rate and the potential for bleeding. Muscle spasm may be painful. Obviously, significant pressure on the surgical site is not a good idea either. It is not uncommon for patients to report increased swelling that occurs after vigorous exercise (including sexual activity), even several months after tummy tuck surgery.

Sex after a tummy tuck

I tell my patients to wait 3 weeks after a tummy tuck before they can have gentle intercourses.  By 6 weeks after surgery you can resume your normal activities.

Thank you for your question and good luck with surgery 

Christina Bernier, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Sex after a Tummy Tuck

If you have had a non-complicated recovery, I tell my patients to wait 3 weeks after a tummy tuck to have sex. Keep in mind that this should be gentle sex. 6 weeks after surgery you should be able to resume full normal activity.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Sex and Tummy Tuck

In my practice i have never had a patient regret having done this
procedure. But a great outcome requires the patient to follow
directions, and the doctor to give patients a realistic expectation
rather than "sell" the procedure. Not everyone is a great candidate for
every procedure like fancy adds may claim. Also, every doctor has a
different approach that works for him/her. In my office, I tell patents,
back to work in 10 days (take off the weekend on either side of a work
weeks). I tell them
you will walk and shower the next day and there is no restrictions on
walking. I prefer to keep people walking a bit hunched for the first
three days to keep the incision as low as possible. Drains are out about
5-7 days. Increase cardio after two weeks and full workouts after 8
weeks. They may have intercourse (let your body dictate your comfort level) after 3 weeks. In my practice I also give free personal training intro sessions
and dietetics counseling to get you started on the right path during your
healing. I want the tummy tuck to be just the start of the journey and I
want my patients to lead a happy and healthy lifestyle. Hope this
helps.

Raj S. Ambay, MD