After-care for Lip Augmentation Using Juvederm?

I am wondering how much post-op care you need after getting Juvederm Lip augmentations (assuming one syringe). I am wondering if you can go back to work and not look like a duck, or if you should take a few days out of site of the public eye while icing, massaging (as I have read some people do), etc.

Plan a personal day when getting a lip injection

Both Restylane and Juvederm work in part by drawing your own fluid to their injection site. So they have to swell. My experience is that Juvederm swells slightly less here, which is reversed when we inject around the eye. So the day of the injection, a characteristic pattern of swelling occurs. The swelling generalizes, to the white lip, between the nose and lip, so you look a bit full. And the swelling puffs the red lip away from the teeth, giving a duck like projection that is unnatural. It also tends to hang over the lower lip the first day, if the lower lip is not simultaneously injected. So I always tell patients to wait a day for an important social event, in order to let the normal details and contour of the upper lip return.

I don't require any special post op care, other than to refrain from massaging the lip. The product can be a little malleable after injection, so I make sure all irregularities are addressed myself, before sending patients on for the day. We also have little peel pack ice compresses that we utilize, to give a little help on the ride home. After that, some lip moisturizer only for comfort.

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Icing after lip injection

Thank you for your question and for sharing your experience. Icing during and after the procedure definitely helps with swelling reduction. If you feel swollen, then I would continue to ice on and off for 5 to 10 minutes every hour for the first day or two.    I would avoid the massage, as this may stimulate more swelling.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

After-care Lip injection. Plan a few days off

Hi there,

This is a very good question.

I would recommend you plan a couple of days off after the injection. Usually the worst day is the day after the injection. I recommend taking two days off after the injection if possible.

Everyone is a little different and will respond a little different.
Some people don't care if their lips are swollen and other might be able to figure out they had something "done". While other people are more private and will want to take a little more time off. Bruises might also happen from the injection, although they are uncommon.

Ice after the injection and for the first 48 hrs after the injection to decrease swelling.
You can consider doing Arnica pills to reduce swelling (there are no definitive studies proving it works but some studies do suggest it might be efficient).

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Down Time after Lip Augmentation

When anyone has their lips injected, there is usually a period of swelling in the first 24 hours where the lips become biggest. This is because the hyaluronic acid molecules are picking up water and are causing the swelling. Icing the lips will help during this time. Most patients find that they return to work the next day and although they might be aware of the increase in swelling, most of those around them do not notice it. If you are concerned about swelling, it might be best to be injected on a Thursday, then take a long weekend off and return to work on Monday- however, most patients return to work immediately with no problems.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Some Swelling but not much.

Hi CWPGirl

This is a very simple procedure and generally there is no need to take more than the one day off. However everyone is different so its a good idea to speak to a qualified surgeon who will be able to assess you correctly.

There is a very wide range of products currently available and the most usual component in modern wrinkle fillers is hyaluronic acid. This substance is found naturally in almost all body tissues. When injected as a filler, it is immediately effective in correcting creases and is slowly absorbed over 6-12 months. Earlier generations of fillers used collagen which was purified from animal tissue and these caused allergic reactions in some patients. Allergic reaction is a rare complication with the modern generation of hyaluronic acid fillers.

We use Juvederm as it gets great results. Generally our clients are good to go within a few hours. We have had some people come in for fillers on the Friday to go out on Saturday and have been absolutely fine.

Most can go out in public the next day after lip fillers

Juvederm or restylane are great for the lips ($550 per syringe) and have very little down time. If you are making your lips look really large compared to their normal size then 1-2 days off is needed.

You can do the injections in 2 sessions, putting a little each time about a week apart, then there would be no down time. Eventually you should switch to lip implants for permanent results. They are easy to put in and easy to remove for $1500-2000 per lip and save a lot of money in the long run.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Post duck lips

I always ask my patients for lip augmentation to make sure they have nothing important for at least the next 2 days. You will be swollen. There will be some lumps and sometimes small bruises. 

To tell you the truth, most patients like the lips the best day 1 and 2 which indicates they want more volume. That being said no body wants to look goofy at an important event and I think it is best to be conservative if it is your first time.

Some things that can be done to reduce edema are use a cannula, ice and head of bed elevation.

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Enhancement

I have significant experience working with Juvederm and it is a safe and effective treatment when applied by a trained professional. While it takes about 2 days for the swelling to go down, the results are long-lasting. Most clients need 1-2 syringes for a dramatic effect, but some require more. While the initial injection might feel uncomfortable, there is minimal pain involved. 

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Swelling After Lip Filler

Thank you for your question. Swelling is not uncommon after lip augmentation that is why regular icing is recommended during and after the treatment. Remember, bruising also can occur at the injection sites. You can consider taking Arnica pills to help reduce swelling and bruising. You can take some days off from work after the injection. All the best!

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Swelling after lip augmentation can take a couple of days to settle

But with some fillers, the swelling doesn't start until the day after treatment. Here in the UK, the Restylane Kysse and Restylane Refyne fillers offer beautiful results with minimal swelling. Many of my patients can go out that day / evening without any swelling. Others will swell. Taking anti-inflammatory meds will help as will ice compresses.

Ravi Jain, MBBS
London Physician