Does Activity Affect the Amount of Drainage in Jp Drain After Abdominoplasty?

Still have jp draining 6 weeks after abdominoplasty. Still draining about 55 cc every 24 hours. Is there anything I can do to help decrease the amount so drain can be pulled? I did have 2 drains and 1 was pulled 2 weeks postop.

Prolonged Drainage

Thank you for your question. At 6 weeks postop it is time to consider drain removal or sclerosis of the space. The longer a drain stays in place, the longer the risk of a wound infection.  The risk of seroma recurrence needs to be balanced with the risk of infection. Discuss this matter further with your surgeon. Best wishes on your recovery.

Talk to your Doc

We sometimes inject tetracycline into the drain tube.  This can act as a sclerossing agent and get the tissue to stick down.  Once in a blue moon a patient may need another surgery to mechanically close down the pocket.

Good Luck

Dr T

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Yes, activity can increase the amount of drainage.  But no one will put you at bed rest for this problem

At this stage I would consider sclerosis therapy, injection of a caustic substance (e.g. betadine, tetracycline, alcohol) to encourage the edges to stick together and secret no more. Sometimes this must  be repeated a few times, but it usually works. Best wishes. 

Drain Output After Tummy Tuck

Activity does effect the amount of drain output after a tummy tuck but it will almost never go to zero no matter how long the drain stays in place. At some point the drain just needs to be removed and see if a fluid build-up occurs. At this point the odds are that it won't.

Abdominoplasty Drainage Tubes

Dear sandlis4,  Most JP drains are removed in 7-10 days after an abdominoplasty. However, once in a while drainage output is too high to remove in that time frame and they must remain in longer. If drainage persists like your case I would try sclerotherapy with tetracycline either through the tube  or I may remove your tube and aspirate the fluid percutaneously and try sclerotherapy percutaneously as well. Your surgeon is the best judge of what therapy to try. Good luck. Dr. G.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Drains after abdominoplasty

The drainage that you have will never go to zero. I am sure that there was enough drainage or circumstances to justify leaving the drain up until now, but at some point soon they will need to be removed. The only person in a position to make the assessment as to exactly when, is your surgeon. At this point, six weeks out, I doubt that your activities or lack of activity will materially affect the drain output over the course of a day.

I suggest that you speak with your surgeon regarding the plan for removal of the drains.

Eugene J. Sidoti, Jr., MD
Scarsdale Plastic Surgeon