Is there any side effect (long or short term) to subcision?

i visit a dermatologist doctor and she recommended subcision treatment because the scare is depressed and present from long time (24 years ) so I'm asking about long and short term side effects

Safe long term

Subcision wil leave temporary bruising and can be Easley combined with long term filler -bellafil for a permanent improvement. After evaluation fractionated laser resurfacing can offer additional improvement.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Generally safe

Subcision helps "lift" the skin off a scarred tissue bed to reduce the severity of the depression. Depending on the technique used, there may be short term pain, bruising, or numbness to an area. Also, the insertion site of the needle or blade used to perform the subcision may create a scar in itself. Not all scars will resolve with subcision due to injury and thinning of the dermal layer. These scars may require subcision complemented with filler or fat grafting to improve their appearance and create a longer lasting result. 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Side effects and subcision...

Bruising is the most common side effect. This is almost universally seen if larger needles or stubborn scars are encountered. Like other Specialist have address, massage is important after the procedure. 

I do believe that this is the best treatment for anchored, depressed and bound down scars. This is one of the most frequent surgical procedure I perform, and has a high safety record. I have caused 2 cases of haematoma (blood collection) but these have settled with conservative management. 

Overall an excellent procedure for certain scar types. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Subcision side effects

In my opinion, subcision is the gold standard for treating depressed scars. When doing subcision, the area needs to be marked and then anesthetized . The numbing is often the most difficult part as it is uncomfortable. We will often use an strong nonsteroidal agent intramuscularly prior to the local administration of anesthetic. Postoperatively bruising is the most common side effect. We will often use postoperative dressings for 24 hours to ensure that the small incisions have completely healed. If we are doing subcision on someone with darker skin, we will pre and post treat with bleaching creams to prevent hyperpigmentation. In the long term, there is the possibility of a excessive growth response in the area of the subcision. We recommend massage and if necessary intralesional steroids or 5FU. For the most part subcision is a very safe and effective procedure. Find a doctor who has experience in performing the procedure. Ask to see photos. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Hidef acne scar protocol for deep acne scars

I would use our exclusive Hidef Acne Scar Protocol which includes ematrix RF, fractional laser and RF, laser resurfacing, subcision, and microneedling to treat most acne scars. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
@kareplasticsurgery on Instagram

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

I do a ton of subcision with fillers and lasers and microneedling and see no problems long term if you do this properly.  Best, Dr. emer.

Subcision for acne scars

It is common to get bruising after subcision which lasts a week or slightly longer.  It is also relatively common to get some thickening of the skin after subcision.  This represents an exuberant collagen response to the subcision and is really part of the healing process and part of the improvement.  Sometimes we use small injections of Kenalog or 5-FU to soften and settle down any thick areas.  Other risks of subcision include bleeding or hematoma formation.  This is uncommon but it is important not to take blood thinners prior to the procedure.  Like most procedures, the results of subcision are technique-dependent.  An experienced and conservative doctor can generally provide the best possible result with the lowest risk for side effects.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon