How Long Until I Can Work out After Hair Transplant Surgery?

I had hair transplant one month ago. Can I go to the gym and workout (gym exercises) now? Please tell me.

Working Out After Hair Transplant Surgery

The longer you wait to exercise following your hair transplant, the better. Try to, at least, wait two weeks before doing light exercise and three weeks before engaging in strenuous physical activity. Being patient with your recovery is the key to ensuring that you get the best results possible. 

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Surgical hair restoration transfers your own hair follicles from a donor site to a recipient site on the scalp. It is generally advisable to avoid exertional activities for the first week following the procedure. By about three weeks, most people may safely resume their exercise regimen.

James M. Pearson, MD

You Can Resume Now

We advise patients to wait for a couple of weeks before getting back to strenuous activity, such as gym workouts. Since you had your procedure 1 month ago, it should be safe to begin exercising again. Please check with the doctor who performed your procedure just to be certain.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Exercise one week after FUE hair transplant procedure

You can begin full exercise at 6-7 days after your hair transplant procedure with the FUE technique.

With a strip procedure most surgeons recommend two weeks after surgery; however, if you are getting pain at your incision during exercise you may be stretching your incision, and I would decrease any activity that causes soreness, pulling sensation, or pain.  At four weeks all activities can be pursued.

You should be able to work out a few weeks after a hair transplant

You should have no problem working out at the gym, as it's been a month since your hair transplant. Please keep in mind, we always recommend that you consult with the doctor that did your procedure before making a decision, as they know the details of your situation.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

You should be able to

I do not know what kind of technique was used on you but I only use FUE techiques utilizing robotic hair transplant with ARTAS or Neograft. I let my patients go back to the gym in 1 week after the procedure
In your case check with your doctor before making that decision

Are My Activities Restricted After Hair Transplant Surgery? If So, For How Long?

Strenuous physical activity inclusive of vigorous aerobic exercise and power weight training should not be performed until two weeks following the procedure. After the sutures are removed at ten days one can slowly begin to reintroduce an exercise regime beginning with cardio and slowly adding back weight training. Early excessive movement and particularly strain on the healing donor wound can increase the likelihood of a widened donor scar. Ideally one should reduce their activity profile and ensure adequate rest during the week immediately following the surgery.In the case you had FUE procedure (Artas or Hand) , you don't have any sutures. However it is still important to allow the head and body recover from surgery and exercise should not be resumed before the 10 day mark.

Craig L. Ziering, DO
West Hollywood Hair Restoration Surgeon

Exercise after hair transplant

Generally, You can start doing mild exercise, such as walking after a week,  Moderate exercise after two weeks and heavy exercise after one month.  However, it is best to monitor your healing process and be a bit more conservative until you are completely healed.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

I'd say all being well, wait one week for aerobic type exercises, and perhaps another week for any weight lifting type routine

If you had strip or FUT procedure, perhaps you should wait a month before weight lifting

Bessam Farjo, MBChB
Manchester Hair Restoration Surgeon

You can work out few weeks after surgery

You can work out few weeks after surgery. Each doctor has different post operative care instructions.  You should ask your doctor about his/her recommendations.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon