Hair Growth After Hair Transplant

I had a hair transplant of about 2,600 follicular unit extraction (FUE) grafts Nov 08. New hair is now visible in the frontal area, but it is sparse and I'm unhappy with the looks. Though most of the grafts were put in the frontal area of head, I had quite a few in the vertex area too, where so far I haven't seen any growth or changes. I'm now near the 6th month after surgery. What can I expect from this point on? What are my chances of having further improvement? Thanks!

Hair transplant growth timeline

There are several phases to hair growth

1. Dormant period (0-4 months):  The transplanted hairs shed their original hairs.  Typically no hair growth is seen at this time.
  2. Emergent period ( 4-8 months):  The new hairs gradually appear. For most patients 80% of the hairs emerge by 8 months.  Crown hairs can be the slowest to appear.  These new hairs will often be fine.
  3. Maturation (8-12 months):  The new hairs thicken.  Frizzy haired patients may have frizzier hair for a few months.  

Hair Growth After Hair Transplant

Fat tissue obtained from own body of the patient is processed and enriched from adipose tissue derived stem cells with the Cihantimur Fat Transfer Technique which uses closed circuit system. The recipient area that the “Organic Hair Transplantation” will be performed is sterilized and the mixture containing adipose tissue derived stem cells is injected to the area. The volume of the scalp is increased and nutrition process begins. Meanwhile hair grafts are extracted from the donor site with use of micro bistoury.

The extracted hair grafts then classified according to their types and prepared for the transplantation process. In order to get the most natural result the angles of the hair canals are determined precisely. The donor site is dressed after the “Organic Hair Transplantation” process is completed which will be removed the following day. The recipient area is left as open.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hair Growth After Hair Transplant

Thank you for your question. Surgical hair restoration transfers your own hair follicles from a donor site to a recipient site. Following the hair transplant procedure, the transplanted hairs 'fall out' in most cases by 2-3 weeks. Note that although the hair shafts are not present at this point, the hair follicle itself remains intact. New hair growth is not evident until about 3-4 months. Final results are visible by 12-18 months.

James M. Pearson, MD

6 Months Post Surgery

At this point, your best bet is to continue following post-surgery instructions and keep in close touch with your surgeon.  Generally, it can take up to 12-18 months to see final results.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is average Hair growth after hair transplanting

It depends on where in the cycle of growth each follicle is. The hair that is implanted goes through its intrinsic cycle of growth. The growth starts after three months and Usually it will take up to one year, but it may vary for each person. after hair transplant surgery, the hair has to go through its normal cycle of growth. Each hair follicle has its own cycle.   Depending on the it's position in its cycle, once implanted it will go through its cycle and therefore grows in accordingly.  So normally gradually the hair starts to grow in.  Around six months, about fifty percent of the hair would grow in, and continue to grow to up to 18 months after the procedure.  As it is starting to come in there is a stage when the hair growth looks kind of awkward, at that stage you just have to be patient.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Growth After Hair Transplant. #NeoGraft #results

Thank you for your question!  Hair growth after transplantation requires patience.  It may be that even at the 6 month post operative point, the appearance of the result is not what you expected.  There are some patients that take longer to see results and is the reason why so many of the transplant surgeons stress waiting a good year before arriving at any conclusions as to the success of your procedure. 

Hair Growth after Hair Restoration Surgery

It may take up to a full year to attain the final appearance following hair restoration surgery. Immediately after surgery some or many of the grafts may go into a sleep state, what is called a telogen phase. These hairs are shed and then it may take up to 3-4 months for the new hairs to start growing (so long as there are no complications). By the time these hairs have grown out to a cosmetically important length it may be 12 months after the surgery. If you don't get the density you were expecting, talk to the surgeon. If you have any doubts after that, seek a second opinion.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Time

give it to 12 months and then seek someone who can apply appropriate math to achieve the correct density.

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

What to expect ?

Transplanted hairs start to visibly regrow between months 4-6. At month 6-9, a patient may expect to see growth for  80% of the transplants. Again, due to the random cycle of hair growth, not all grafts will start growing at the same time. Initially, the hair my be thinner and finer. It will gain length and density as it matures. Full growth from the transplants is usually achieved at 12 months. All the best

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hair Regrowth After Restoration Takes Time

After surgical hair restoration, 6 months is far too early to judge final results. You're about a third of the way there. Final results are achieved by 18 months. That is the proper time to decide how successful your procedure was. It's also the ideal amount of time I indicate patients must wait before proceeding with a 2nd transplant procedure to increase density. -Randolph Capone, MD, FACS

Randolph Capone, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon