Is There Anything Than Can Promote Facial Hair Growth?

I'm 23 about to turn 24, and I have a baby face which I can't stand. I do not look my age, and I probably look 5 or 6 years younger. I always get those baby face comments which I'm tired of. I really can't grow any facial hair, and if I do, after a week, I look all scruffy. Meaning, I can't grow a goatee, or even a beard which would really make me feel better about myself. Is there anything than can help me grow facial hair?

Increasing facial hair growth.

Increasing facial hair growth is not possible except with time some men will get more bears by the time they reach 30. Be happy that shaving is not a problem for you.

Is There Anything Than Can Promote Facial Hair Growth

Facial hair pattern is a fixed & specific to races & families. I think hair transplant is the only best option in this regard.

M. Khawar Nazir, MBBS, MS(Derm)
Pakistan Dermatologist

Hormonal Evaluation or Beard Transplant

You might want to evaluate your hormones to see if there is anything going on.  In addition, as has been mentioned, a hair transplant procedure maybe your best option.

Sam Lam, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

What are the treatment options for Beard hair loss?

This is all about the genetics. it may take some poeple longer than others to grow facial hair and that is their inherit genetic structure.  Beard hair transplant can be a viable option. It is a good idea to see a experienced hair transplant physician for a consultation.  Now that you are a bit older if you still have thin facial hair, you can consider hair transplant as an option. Medical hair loss treatment options have not proven to be beneficial. Beard or facial transplant in the hands of a skilled doctor is very successful.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Increasing Facial Hair Growth

Very little can be done about your problem...facial hair is totally determined by genetics.  Even products such as rogaine can cause minimal facial hair growth.

Jack Fisher, MD

Options for Increasing Facial Hair

This may or may not be a permanent condition.  I suggest you use minoxidil (Rogaine) 5% once a day for a few months and see how well it works. A facial hair transplant can always be an option as well. It is important that you consults with a plastic surgeon that specializes in these procedures.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Hair Growth

Thank you for your question! As others have stated, a hair transplantation may be necessary. Hormone therapy can help if your primary care physician thinks it is the root of the problem. Schedule a consultation with your physician to discuss your options. Best of luck!

David R. Broadway, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Try PRP

After checking a hormone panel from your PCP including testosterone, make sure it is all normal.  One thing you may want to consider is injecting platelet-rich plasma into your existing follicles with microneedling to see if there is an effect.  PRP as it is called has done wonders for hair restoration on the scalp.  It is not well documented for the beard area but worth a try with no surgery and lower cost.

Samer Muala, MD
Phoenix Family Physician

Facial Hair Growth

Thank you for your question. Yes there are several things that may work for facial hair growth.  It depends upon what the patient is trying to achieve. I would recommend an in person consultation. I hope this helps. Best wishes. 

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

Hair transplant can be effective

As long as you have been evaluated by your primary care doctor and there are no causes (hormonal or otherwise) for a lack of facial hair, I agree with the other recommendations that hair transplant to the beard is an excellent option.  Topical treatments such as Rogaine can be helpful, but are unlikely to give you a dramatic result, and will not stimulate new hair follicles to develop in areas where there is currently no hair.  I would recommend seeing a hair transplant surgeon for a consultation to review the procedure and expectations.

Matthew Richardson, MD
Frisco Facial Plastic Surgeon