TCA Peel for Patient Who Had Cold Sores?

If I have had cold sores in the past, do I have to have medication prescribed before doing an 8% TCA peel? Thank you.

Viral prophylaxis for TCA peel

I agree with Dr. Whitt that prophylaxis would be a good idea and would suggest taking Valtrex as prophylaxis the same day as your chemical peel procedure (2 grams in the morning and 2 grams in the evening).

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Viral prophylaxis for TCA peel

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Viral Prophylaxis in TCA Peel

Although an 8% peel is very superficial and the likihood of an herpetic infection is very small, I would recommend treating you before and for a few days after your peel.  I give Valtrex to all of my peel or resurfacing patients if they have any history of cold sores, etc.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Viral Prophylaxis in TCA Peel

John Whitt, MD (retired)