Best Laser Hair Removal for Asian with Fair to Wheatish Skin?

I'm a South-Asian female. My complexion varies from fair to wheatish. I have dark hair (thick and black in some areas and finer but still black in others).

What's the best laser hair removal option for me? Light sheer diode or Gentle YAG or ND-Yag?

Thanks.

LASER hair for Asian Skin

Light or wheatish skin and dark hair is often the best combination for laser as it targets the color in the hair (for this reason blonde haired patients are often not good candidates). There is not a single best laser to treat hair. Each laser has its pros and cons. Although many lasers are available with brand names, the key is to look at the frequency of laser to determine its effectiveness.
Types of LASERS:
  • Diode- Perhaps the best studied and good for many skin types (the type I favor in my practice).
  • IPL- Not as effective as diode in head to head studies and not good for all skin types. May require more treatments.
  • Nd:YAG lasers- A good selection for darker haired patients. May require more treatments than diode and has a smaller spot size typically and may require more treatments
  • Alexandrite- Best for lighter skin types however it is almost as effective as diode in efficacy.

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Laser Hair Removal Treatment

Thank you for your question. A wide variety of medical lasers and light systems are used to remove unwanted hair, however most lasers are not effective for all skin types and hair colors. The Elos laser hair removal system is designed for permanent hair reduction by combining both optical and radiofrequency energy to deliver satisfying, longer lasting results with less discomfort than previous laser systems. All skin and all hair colors including gray and blonde hair are effectively treated. Faces, backs, arms, legs, faces, and bikini lines can be treated including those individuals with darkly pigmented skin. Treatments are administered every 4 weeks and generally 3 to 5 treatments are sufficient. Best of luck!

You have many options

It sounds like you are a very good cancdidate for laser hair removal.  There is no best laser for this, as many work very well.  We use a Diode laser in our office and have had excellent results, but that doesn't mean it is your best choice.  I think you have many options, so find a place where you feel you will be in good hands.

Lisa Benest, MD
Burbank Dermatologist

Either diode or NdYag for laser hair removal will help

The type of skin you have, you can use either of the two lasers diode or NdYag. GentleYag is an NdYag laser from Candela. You can also benefit from Alexander laser eg Gentlelase from Candela. Alexander laser will have less discomfort 'pain' compared to the other two types. In addition an IPL, which is not a laser but a light source can also be beneficial in acheiving permanent hair reduction.

Farouk Iqbal, MD
Muscat Dermatologic Surgeon