When to Stop Shaving Before Laser Hair Removal?

How close to a Laser Hair Removal treatment should I shave? I am thinking about just letting them shave me right before the laser--will this affect the laser's efficacy?

Shaving before laser hair removal

Shave the night before or the morning of laser hair removal. If you cannot get all hair completely, like people sometimes experience when getting a full brazilian, laser hair removal around the thing line, etc. we can touch up areas. if people require a full shave, there is a small charge
It is important not to have hair on the surface of the skin, otherwise, that hair will absorb some of the laser energy. The objective is for the laser energy to go directly to the rot of the hair. This is a reason to select the ideal laser for your skin type. The alexandriite laser is best for light to medium toned skinned individuals. The long pulsed nd yag is best for dark skinned types

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal Prep

When having Laser Hair Removal, we want you to be as clean shaven as possible.  We recommend doing it in the morning before you come.  If you shave immediately prior to the laser, you can possibly have increased inflammation/redness after the treatment. 

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Prep for Laser Hair Removal

You will receive the best results when you show up to your appointment with a clean shave and non irritated skin. 

When to shave for laser hair

Ideally shave the day prior or morning of your laser hair procedure.  Not shaving prior to your procedure, will take more time for your procedure, may make your procedure hurt more, and if the office has to shave you incur a shave charge.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

When having laser hair removal I recommend shaving the morning of your appointment. If you shave right before coming there is a risk of irritation. If there is hair above the skin then the laser will be absorbed by the hair and not the follicle and the treatment will not be effective.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Shave Prior To Treatment

When having laser hair removal, it is best to shave one day prior to treatment. If you shave too soon, such as the morning of treatment, irritation may occur.

Shaving Prior to Laser Hair Removal

It is best to shave the day before or the day of your treatment. Use a fresh razor with shaving cream to avoid razor burn. Shaving during your appointment can lead to cuts and razor irritation due to a dry shave, and is not recommended.

I recommend to shave within 24 hours of your treatment.

It's really dependent on the machine.  If you are using a BBL laser as we have you can shave within 24 hours before your treatment.  A lot of other technologies we have at various locations such as diode, and candela, it is very important that you shave as close to your appointment as possible so it is shaved closely.  Many locations will have different policies on shaving.  We do not shave you before your treatment, that is a messy procedure and hard to get a thorough, close accurate shave on someone.  The technician can touch up if needed. 

Dinakar Golla, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Right before session

It's better to shave right before your session, so before you come in would be a good time. However, some clinics do prefer that they shave you.

You should shave the same day of your treatment.

Shaving the hair  a day or two before the treatment is not a good idea, because some of the hair might grow back and be visible on the surface if the skin. To prevent side effects, such as burning we recommend to shave the same day. In addition if there is hair on the surface of the skin that hair takes up some of the energy of the laser and the treatment is not very effective.