Implants before double jaw surgery?

I have congenitally-missing maxillary lateral incisors. I just completed my invisalign treatment in preparation for orthognathic surgery. I will be meeting with my surgeon in a month and will provide a mold to see if my teeth will fit together. My orthodontist says that my teeth are now perfect and there should be no problem with surgery. My problem is, I may have to wait a year or longer to get the surgery. Meanwhile, I will be missing my incisors. Is it possible to get implants before surgery?

Implants before double jaw surgery

Congratulations on your progress with your teeth!  I understand that you want your lateral incisors replaced as soon as possible, but it is important that you wait to do this until after your jaw surgery.  To place the implants ideally, your surgeon will need to take the lower jaw position in to account.  In the meantime, have your orthodontist fabricate a retainer for you that includes the lateral incisors.  Good luck!

Charlotte Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Implants before jaw surgery

It may be best to wait until jaw surgery has been completed before implants are placed in order to achieve accurate and precise placement with regard to their relationship with the lower arch. Also implants can not be orthodontically moved, so if there is slight discrepancies that must be address orthodontically after the jaw surgery, the lateral incisors can not be moved.

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Implants should be after jaw surgery.

You should wear a flipper, temporary partial until the surgery can be done if you are concerned with the appearance of your smile. Implants can not be moved once placed and should not be placed until all final surgeries and orthodontic movement are complete.
Douglas Jopling,  DDSDallas, Texas area

Implant

generally it is not a good idea to have implants before jaw surgery. You will need more orthodontics after the surgery and spaces may change. 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon