I am 73. Am I too old for a full TT? Do not have loose or sagging skin, but have protruding muscles

I am 73. Am I too old for a full tummy tuck?

Thank you for the question. Your age is absolutely not a contraindication to tummy tuck surgery; assuming you are in good health and a good candidate for the procedure you may have an excellent outcome with the procedure. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight. 

Hopefully, your only regret will be not having had it done earlier in life. You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

I am 73yo. Am I too old for a full TT?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Too old for tummy tuck?

Thank you for your post. Age is not a contraindication to surgery. Poor health is. If you are a healthy adult, and interested in a tummy tuck surgery, meet with a board certified plastic surgeon. He or she will assess you as a patient for any risks you might have. The biggest risks are heart disease, diabetes, smoking, high blood pressure, and previous history of deep venous thrombosis.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Your age by itself would not be a contraindication to surgery.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and body contouring procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

73 years too old for tummy tuck?

In agreement with Dr. Eppley, the answer depends on your general health, strength, mobility, and desire.   My experience includes at least one woman in her eighties, who did extremely well.  Tissue relaxation and increased compliance that develop with aging facilitate the procedure and your recovery.  May want to secure the blessing of your primary care physician before proceeding.

Steve Laverson, MD

Tummy Tuck in the 70s

If your health is good, there is no reason you can not have a successful tummy tuck result. I performed a tummy tuck and a breast lift on a 76 year-old last year and she did just fine.

Health and not the age matters for undergoing cosmetic surgery

If you are in good general health you can have tummy tuck.  Age is not a huge issue for these surgeries.   Muscle plication will give you a flat tummy.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

Too old for tummy tuck?

I haven't completed a tummy tuck on a 73 year old yet, but have done so on a 68 year old. And she did famously. The age of the patient is not nearly as important as the health of the patient. If you are otherwise healthy, have normal respiratory and cardiac function, and want to have the procedure, you should be able to do so. I would recommend a full pre-op workup including an EKG, chest x-ray, and labs. If those items are normal, then best of luck.

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon